addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Organic and Sustainable Living Meetup Message Board › Planting Fruit Trees in Central Florida

Planting Fruit Trees in Central Florida

A former member
Post #: 1
Many people don't know that the University of Florida has developed "low chill hour" fruit trees that will actually fruit here in this how climate. We have 11 fruit trees now as of this spring. One of our mature peach trees produced hundreds of delicious peaches and we canned and froze many of them. I am part of a local Green Team and we are going to approach the City of Orlando to see of they would be open to growing some of these trees in parks and common areas. The point would be to provide edible landscaping for and to model this for residents.love struck
Carole Jackson, MA...
user 23570431
Casselberry, FL
Great idea. I'd like to learn more about this too. More fruit trees would work well in my yard.

A former member
Post #: 55
Where can I get some of these "low chill hour" fruit trees?
A former member
Post #: 56
Carole Jackson, MA...
user 23570431
Casselberry, FL
Post #: 19
Victoria,

What kind of progress are you making with the local cities?

I sure wish my city would have done that when they planted the oak trees in front of my house.
A former member
I bought a Queen FloraPeach tree at Home Depot a couple of months ago. Most likely I'll have to wait at least a year for it to produce, but that's ok with me. This is one of the new peach trees that grow in Florida. So far it has been doing well. I'm still going to wrap the trunk this winter with newspaper just to be on the safe side.