addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Paradise City Readers Message Board › Books for 2012-2013

Books for 2012-2013

Annie
mom2jnl
Group Organizer
Leeds, MA
Post #: 3
Hello Readers!

We are compiling a list of books for the group for the next year. Please add your suggestions here, and feel free to comment on others' nominations.

The decisions will be made by the group at the March meeting, which will start a bit early (6:30).

Thanks for your input!
Annie
mom2jnl
Group Organizer
Leeds, MA
Post #: 4
OK. I'll get the discussion started...

Under This Unbroken Sky, Shandi Mitchell. Beautifully written novel, lots of discussion material.

The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls. Engaging memoir of a difficult, unusual childhood.

Why I Left the Amish, Saloma Miller Furlong. Another memoir that looks interesting.

An Island Away, Daniel Putkowski. Novel that takes place in Aruba.

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress, Rhoda Janzen. Yet another memoir, with a bit of humor.

A former member
Post #: 1
I'd like to see some prize winners that I either never got to, or got to talk about. At the top of the list is Tinkers by Paul Harding, Pulitzer 2010, exsquisite writing and about passage of time, memory, etc. These I have not read but would like to: Nemesis, Philip Roth; Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes; Open City, Teju Cole; Salvage the Bones, Jesmyn Ward; A Visit From the Goon Squad.
All have won literary prizes in the last couple of years, and are very much serious reading, so I don't know how they will be received as suggestions
A former member
Post #: 1
I'll be new to your group, so I may suggest reading ground you've already covered. I suggest ANY and ALL works by Elizabeth Berg,The Room by Emma Donahoe,A Fine Balance (a five star book if ever there were one!) A great memoir by a local writer, Name All the Animals by Alison Smith,and I'll add more as I recall them.
Looking forward to joining and meeting all of you.
Annie
mom2jnl
Group Organizer
Leeds, MA
Post #: 5
Kendra,

To keep the group accessible for everyone, we like to be able to borrow books, rather than require people to buy them. The library gets books for us via interlibrary loan, and they don't like to tie up all copies of a new, popular book. So Sense of an Ending, Open City, and Salvage the Bones are all too new for us. But they sound like good suggestions, so please keep them in mind for the future!

Rosemary,

Room is also too new for us to consider. A Fine Balance looks like a good book, but it's over 600 pages. We have had complaints in the past with books over 400 pages. We read Name All the Animals. A good read!

Can you suggest a specific book by Elizabeth Berg?

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!
Kris
sapphickris
Brattleboro, VT
Post #: 5
Another for the list:

Blindness by Jose Saramago. It was a NYT notable book of the year and a Los Angeles Times best book of the year. Published in 1995 and 326 pages.

- k
A former member
Post #: 2
I read Blindness many years ago...a tough read in many respects, but well worth it, and a great book to discuss..
A former member
Post #: 2
A delightful, funny book by Elizabeth Berg: The Day I ate Whatever I Wanted. Durable Goods and Never Change are also books hard to put down by the same author.

I agree that Blindness would be a great book to discuss.
I'm sorry folks don't like lengthy books, as A Fine Balance is an extraordinary book. I recommended it to two friends who were mesmerized and up all hours 'til they finished it. Even if it's not a choice for our group discussion, I hope people will consider reading it at some point. It's a book not to be missed.
Angela
user 4486511
Holyoke, MA
Post #: 4
My suggestions (Disclaimer these are all books that I have not read)

The Devil in the White City Murder Magic and Madness at the Fair that Changed America
Author: Erik Larson
A Thousand Acres
Author: Jane Smiley
The Story of Lucy Gault
Author: William Trevor