Meetup's Payment Policies
Meetup can only issue a refund in certain situations, and only if a member has used our preferred payment processor, WePay, to make the payment in question. Disputes regarding payments made off of Meetup, in cash, or using a third party payment processor cannot be mediated by Meetup.
To pursue a refund, locate the transaction in question and select ‘Contact organizer for refund’. For more specific information, see the article on our Payment Resolution Center in the Help Center.
Annual Member Dues are refundable if:
- The Meetup group was closed (or a member was removed from the Meetup group) within 3 months of their payment, and the member account is in good standing.
- There have been no scheduled Meetups since a member paid to join the Meetup group, and the member account is in good standing.
Monthly Member Dues are refundable if:
- The Meetup group was closed (or a member was removed from the Meetup group) within 1 week of their payment, and the member account is in good standing.
Ticketing fees for upcoming events are refundable if:
- The refund policies for that specific Meetup state that a refund is an option.
- The Meetup group was closed, the Meetup event was rescheduled or canceled, or a member was removed from the Meetup group before the scheduled event, depending on the refund policies of that specific Meetup as stated by its organizer, and the member account is in good standing.
- The Trust and Safety Team at Meetup HQ determines that the refund is in the best interest of maintaining the integrity of the Meetup platform, to moderate fraud, misuse, or risk.
What payments can’t be refunded?
Generally, Meetup is unable to mediate any disputes regarding processing fees or any other fee associated with the use of our payment processor to accept or refund payments. However, chargeback fees may be refundable if an organizer qualifies for our Organizer Protection program.
See our Help Center for more information on Organizer Protection eligibility.
Meetup's preferred payment processor, Wepay, is only able to process refunds within 6 months of the transaction date. As such, any disputes outside of this window will not be mediated by Meetup.
The Meetup payment processors cannot be used to process payments of the following nature:
- Adult content, escort services, or sex solicitation
- Drugs, alcohol, tobacco, drug paraphernalia, or similar items
- Gambling or betting
- Weapons, ammunition, or weaponry accessories
- Multi-level marketing businesses, pyramid or Ponzi schemes
- Unlawful activities or items, or the promotion of unlawful activities or items