addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Portland WordPress Meetup Message Board › Membership Plugins

Membership Plugins

Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 22
I'm looking for feedback on membership plugins that you may have used in WordPres before. I've created my own custom plugins and custom PHP/MySQL code for client sites and am trying to determine if I should create a commercial plugin for membership.

Examples of what a membership plugin would do:

• Visitors can become members by joining and making a payment
  • Visitors can view a directory of members, search the directory by keywords or fields, see a map of member addresses
  • Members and non-members can register online and make payment online
  • An admin can update member info
  • Members can login and update their profile
  • An admin can email the membership

Lorelle V.
Lorellev
North Plains, OR
Post #: 4
Part of what you are asking for is in BuddyPress and there are Plugins for BuddyPress that add the rest of the feature set.

There are several membership Plugins out there, all with a wide variety of features, much more than what you have listed. Don't start from scratch. Use those. http://wordpress.org/...­

Some of those Plugin authors are available for customization, too.

Part of the issue around membership Plugins is privacy and security. Let the experts handle that as they have been working on some of these Plugins for several years, battling leaks and issues.
Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 25
Thanks for the feedback.

I did use BuddyPress last year for a high school robotics team and would never use that plugin again. BP seemed more of a user forum and not really a paid membership system.
Scott H.
shendison
Portland, OR
Post #: 8
Daniel, yes, you should build a membership plugin that doesn't suck, and I've been hoping someone would.

I routinely use BuddyPress, Wishlist, and Amember for three sites, and the 6 things you've mentioned seem like common sense, but none of them do each of those.

Amember was the first I tried a few years ago for SEMpdx.org and we've kept using it - It has very loose WP integration and doesn't play well. No member profile pages, no database integration, a separate admin area entirely and other things made me look elsewhere. It CAN be cobbled together in a functional WP system, but not easily.

A couple of years ago I tried Wishlist for SEOautomatic.com, and still use it - Wishlist has some severe irritants that really tick me off (such as their idiotic inability to return a user to a page they log in from - duh?!?) but their support ticket system is pretty good.

I DO wish that Wishlist would read / answer / participate more on their forum. There are SO many unanswered and ignored problems but the support ticket system IS good, and I think they have the most potential to be great...

However, Wishlist also doesn't have member profile pages or a directory (numbers 2 and 5) , so last spring we tried BuddyPress at the East Portland Chamber of Commerce, and honestly, it's working great for us. However, we've never looked into charging for membership, protecting content, etc. and we don't even use the forum. All that we REALLY wanted was to have business profile pages that members could edit themselves .

Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 26
Scott,

Thanks for the detailed info on what you've tried.

I developed a custom CMS for the Tualatin Chamber of Commerce and the Sherwood Chamber of Commerce, so it got me thinking about migrating this system into WordPress just for Chambers or Associations.
Lorelle V.
Lorellev
North Plains, OR
Post #: 7
Daniel, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with BuddyPress. It is used by many membership and garden wall sites. It's improved greatly and I expect it to keep doing so.

A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Daniel,
I've just started using S2 Membership. It's been pretty friendly so far, but I haven't pushed it very much yet. I think it's worth looking at. http://www.s2member.c...­
Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 38
Rod,

Thanks, I'll check out the free version of S2 Membership to see what i does.
Rod W.
user 10381809
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 2
Hi Daniel,
How are you doing with the Membership Plugin search?
Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 44
Rod,

I've been too busy with client web sites that I haven't had time to pursue this at the moment. I just won a contract with the Tualatin Chamber of Commerce where I created a virtual marketing agency by combining with three other freelancers: graphic designer, copy writer, videographer.

I'd like to move from being a consultant paid by the hour to a product-based company where I offer something like a membership system.

Stay tuned and thanks for asking.