addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Portland WordPress Meetup Message Board › WordPress Multisite - Does it work well?

WordPress Multisite - Does it work well?

Angie
boingpdx
Portland, OR
Post #: 16
Do any of you have experience with WordPress Multisite with any of the Genesis WordPress themes? Looking for some feedback as Genesis developers themselves saying there are no major issues with their themes & Multisite, however a tech from Hostgator I chatted with said the following:

"We/I do not recommend WordPress Multisite. It is unstable and extremely difficult to setup and work properly."

Situation is a "mother" website with subset unique "child" site that may have unique information on one page and a different menu for the "child" pages. Otherwise the rest of the pages would be the same. Doing one upgrade as opposed to say 50 different website upgrades would obviously be better. However breaking 50 websites from a faulty upgrade would be a nightmare.

Feedback please?

Thanks,
Angie
Scott F.
user 10197455
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
Hi Angie -

The tech. at Hostgator is wrong. I have worked with a large installtion of multi-site (had 160 blogs on it) and two other smaller instances (3-5 different sites on it) with no difficulty in set-up, stability or working well.

On all of those we ran the Thematic framework parent theme with child themes for each separate site. Have not used Genesis for this, but you would think that Genesis should work although it carrys more core and function programming than Thematic.

Cheers -
Scott
Webdirexion
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm with Scott on this one - I don't see any reason you'd have problems with what you are trying to do. Some settings in Multisite can be confusing, but like everything else in Wordpress, there are ample resources on the web if you get stuck, and it really isn't that confusing once you get the hang of it. And I've never had a performance or stability issue with it.

Zach
Angie
boingpdx
Portland, OR
Post #: 17
Thank you, both of you for your feedback. Next question... now that I have more details tonight and wonder if Multisite would still be the way to go:

"The major problem with the previous agent sites, is that only the homepage is agent specific. All sub-pages are simply the same url as our mother site, which is a mistake. Each agent site needs to be agent specific throughout all pages."

I'm not sure again if Multisite is the way to go when they want all links on the Agent sites (child) to be agent SPECIFIC throughout all pages. That is a whole new website to me! Thoughts? Feedback? Otherwise what would be the benefit of multisite if the pages have to stay specifically underneath the Agent child? Again maybe I am missing something, feedback please. Otherwise its a backup/restore 50 times for an Agent specific site!

I'm with Scott on this one - I don't see any reason you'd have problems with what you are trying to do. Some settings in Multisite can be confusing, but like everything else in Wordpress, there are ample resources on the web if you get stuck, and it really isn't that confusing once you get the hang of it. And I've never had a performance or stability issue with it.

Zach

Scott F.
user 10197455
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Hi Angie -

Not sure I understand their goal exactly, but you can use mutli-site to set up separate sites with their own TLD -- Top Level Domain name -- and all pages would be "on that domain". Seems like this is what they are after.

- Scott
Scott F.
user 10197455
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
Hi Angie -

First, you could do it with either TLD.com/agent site, or AGENT.com -- using either domain setup scheme you could make it work.

Next, you could get what you wanted by setting up the main site once, then XML exporting all pages. When you did a new agent site, you would import those same pages under their own URL scheme.

That's a manual solution for what you describe, and one weakness is that it would not automatically update when the main site pages were updated. But it should be possible to write a function or plugin to do that for you.

- Scott
http://Webdirexion.com­