What we’re about
Join us as we explore our potential to learn, play and work together while practicing and educating one another about Permaculture design and it's applications in Northern Nevada.
Upcoming events (1)See all
- Practical PermacultureReno, Reno, NV
REGISTER FOR THIS COURSE AT COBITAT.ORG
Date: Once a month for 7 months: April 21, May 19, June 23, July 12, August 18, September 15, October 6 (all Sundays)
Cost: $275 for the series or $50 per class
Location: Be the Change Project Urban Homestead and at other Reno sites
Instructors: Katy Chandler, Kathleen O’Brien, Kim Bozarth
Imagine heading outside to your yard and being able to gather ingredients for a delicious main course or side dish. It is easier than you think.
Every site requires site-specific techniques, and we'll teach you how to identify what is needed to implement a successful project.
Students will gain the confidence to read their own landscapes and identify resources and weaknesses. Using permaculture design principles and the very best organic gardening techniques, they will then learn how to plan and install a system for prolific production.
Successful home food production is possible!
Katy and Kyle have been practicing Permaculture since before we started our urban homestead in 2011 and our friends, Kim and Kathleen, have been doing so for even longer on their own properties and projects in Reno, Northern, and Central Nevada.
With a focus on organic food production, we’ll also look at the following:
- Pollinator, soil building, guild and insectary plantings including natives and recommended plants for our environment.
- Annual and perennial crops including food forests
- Soil development through composting, cover plantings, and mulch.
- Water catchment, irrigation and greywater
- Natural building in the urban/suburban setting
- Building and nurturing the human community through smart design and practice