addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Socrates Cafe Message Board › freewill/quantum physics and whatnot

freewill/quantum physics and whatnot

A former member
Post #: 1
For anyone who has the time, there is a movie on Google Video that touches on the basics of quantum physics and how it may relate to freewill is apparent.

Its called "What the bleep do we know?!"

http://video.google.c...­

-neil

Last night was fun.
A former member
Post #: 2
There was a follow up dvd that came out awhile back called "What the Bleep?!: Down the Rabbit Hole". I believe this is an expanded version, along the lines of a director's cut vs. all new material, but I haven't seen it personally, despite having seen the original numerous times. Also, to take it a step further, Michael Talbot wrote a book called "The Holographic Universe" which covers many of the same ideas (tip: watch the movie first--it will make reading the book easier and if the movie doesn't hold your interest, you can be pretty certain the book won't either...).
~Lisa
A former member
Post #: 1
Interesting discussion and ideas at our meeting. I wanted to bring up Schrödinger's cat as an example of non-deterministic behavior.

Here is a video about Schrödinger's cat. The key is that the cat's fate is purely random -- there is not a deterministic process. Go to the time 8:00 to for the discussion of the poor cat:

http://video.google.c...­

My thought is that if human thought taps such quantum effects, then human thought is not deterministic, and therefore human action isn't, and, hence, there is free will. This is a BIG hypothesis, though!