addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Francisco Philosophy Group Message Board › Venue and timing

Venue and timing

A former member
Post #: 4
Since I was asked once and others will probably ask too, allow me to explain that the trouble with the Celtic on Sundays is that it is not clear that they will continue to remain open for the hours we have been meeting. They don't have much business then other than us. As for timing, for some, Sunday afternoons worked out great, for others not so well, so I just wanted to hear thoughts on what the most popular times of the week are among members out there.

Jeff, you're right, the Celtic was great while it lasted, but the future is uncertain.

David Shalen
David E
user 7907161
San Mateo, CA
Post #: 3
I would love it if there were some Saturday afternoon meetups: a 2, 3, 4, or even 5 pm start. Maybe rotating days so some are on Sat and some on Sun. I live in San Mateo so location is going to be a haul for me so I have no preference, and even though the Tenderloin is a nerve wracking place to park, I have never had a problem. Anywhere from Bernal Heights to SFSU is nice for us Southerners, I suppose.
A former member
Post #: 5
Okay, we have one vote for saturday afternoon, a time that I have also considered. Does anyone else like that time better than the previous one of Sunday afternoon?

As for a southern San Francisco location, I will certainly consider it if there is a large number of active participants who prefer it. David, do you have any particular good location in mind?

David Shalen
A former member
Post #: 2
I am a newbie but could live with Saturday or Sunday. I still think central SF is the best place for the meetings since this is the SF Philosophy Group. All the cafes I attend are crowded on both Saturdays and Sundays. Does that matter? The one on Mission Dolores down from the Mission is very nice.

Jim Peters
Eve K.
user 39965152
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Saturday or Sunday around 1pm works for me. Also, near Muni is good, and I agree with trying to find a central area in SF - near Market would be good for both Muni and Bart riders...
Yvonne Kay
A former member
Post #: 6
Fellow philosophers,
I'm seeing support for Saturday, which works better than Sunday for me as well, and may enable us to keep our current centralized location, the Celtic Coffee Company. May those who have objections to meeting on Saturdays at 1 p.m. in the future voice them. Barring said objections, I'm going to finalize location arrangements and schedule a meetup for that time next saturday.

Best,
David Shalen
A former member
Post #: 7
Actually, instead of next Saturday, a meeting on saturday in a fortnight would be better, as it gives people time to decide whether they want to attend or set time aside for the purpose.

Best,
David Shalen
joel h.
user 57668822
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi David,

I have no preference as to day, but the location should be accessible to public trans. I do need AT LEAST two weeks lead time, in order to prepare for these discussions. If possible, a calender that ran to about one and a half months would be great.

Regards, Joel
A former member
Post #: 8
Friends, country, philosophers,
I am going to San Francisco to talk to the Celtic Coffee Company tomorrow, as they are regrettably not reachable by phone or e-mail these days. Seventy percent of life is showing up, as Woody Allen once said, so it's a good thing to do when all else fails. If the Saturday at 1 time doesn't work there, I will set up another location in Downtown San Francisco, most likely in Union Square specifically, to meet at the same time. There is an abundance of coffeeshops there in the immediate vicinity of the Powell BART station. Currently, I am hoping that Blue Bottle Coffee Company's store at 66 Mint St. can accomodate us. It is likely to be quiet and well-appointed, and I can already vouch for the very high quality of the coffee. If both locations are possibilities, I would like to hear more opinions so as to decide between them. I'll post again tomorrow.

Best,
David