May 6, 2008 · 6:30 PM
This location is no longer available
Our inaugural meeting will begin gathering at 6:30 PM and Independents Hall (more info below), and we'll have networking opportunities before and after our two presentation/demonstrations:
- Friends for Peace (www.friendsforpeace.org), a project of the American Friends Service Committee (www.afsc.org), will be discussed by its creators, Aaron Crosman and Mark Graham. Putting faces on the diverse majority of people who oppose the Iraq war, FoP won the best integrated online and off-line e-campaign award from the E-Philanthropy Foundation.
- Ivan Boothe, who works with the Genocide Intervention Network will give an overview of how the group has used social networking in a variety of ways -- using Facebook to raise money, using MySpace to keep members engaged, and folding it all together to help create public pressure for anti-genocide legislation.
A couple of other notes about the meeting:
- Independents Hall (www.indyhall.org), located at 32 S. Strawberry Street. Strawberry St. runs parallel to, and between, 2nd and 3rd Sts., and Indy Hall is just north of Chestnut (only a block from the 2nd Street Market-Frankford line station). There is on-street parking in the area and some parking lots on 2nd Street.
- Eat and Drink. We?ll have some light refreshments, but please feel free to bring your own food or drink. (This will be an informal gathering.)
- Invite others. Please pass this invitation on to others you think may be interested. We?d like most people to RSVP (for planning purposes), but feel free to just show up.
- Future presenters. Please consider whether you, or somebody you know, would like to present at a future Net Tuesday Philly gathering. The idea is to share and learn from one another, and we?ll all benefit from hearing many different perspectives.
- Sponsorship. We're committed to keeping these meetings free of charge to participants, so we're also looking for sponsors for future Meetups. At $150, sponsorship covers the cost of the space, plus refreshments and incidentals. We'll recognize sponsors by promoting them in our meeting materials, and by encouraging them to distribute their own materials at the meeting itself, as well as taking a few minutes to welcome attendees.
This meeting should be a lot of fun. Look forward to seeing you there.