WELCOME TO KID CONNECTION! This is our regular Friday evening at the UMOM Watkins Overflow Shelter. (http://www.umom.org/programs/newdayshelters.html)
We will spend quality time with the children at the Watkins overflow homeless shelter. Activities include arts & crafts, games and as much one to one interaction with the children as possible. Plan on being there from 6 pm to 8 pm. We will be interacting with kids from 6 months to early teens. This gives the parents a break from their kids and it shows the children that others care about them.
Please keep in mind that UMOM is a faith-based organization. Minimum age for this will be 12 with parent or guardian accompanying you. You need to be comfortable that your kids will be comfortable interacting with peers or younger kids that are homeless.
If by 4:00P.M. on the day of the event if there are not 8 or more volunteers signed up, the meet up is cancelled!
NO PHOTOS: only of volunteers..RE:UMOM WATKINS POLICY
1) Do not park in their parking lot for they lock the gate, instead park on the street but not directly in front of the shelter for they pick-up and drop off there. It is a warehouse in an industrial park so google it so you know what to look for.
2) Do not bring anything of value into the shelter for there isn't a place to keep.
3) Entrances are to first knock on the double doors; next try the doorbell and lastly go to the west side and enter. Tell a worker that you are there to volunteer with The Phoenix Philanthropists!
4) Advice: always stay with children where you and the child can be seen. Do not take children to the bathroom but get their parents instead.
5) WE ALWAYS NEED DONATIONS for the shelter and our program for this is run on doantions only. NEED play doh, games, basketballs, footballs, arts and crafts projects, toddler toys, race car sets and play tents (no stuffed animals for they spread lice.)
FOR THE SHELTER All clothes, towels, sheets, blankets, shoes, toiletries. Washed fruit and fruit juice packs are nice to bring also.
Signing up or coming to the shelter as a volunteer for the Phoenix Philanthroists acknowledges that you release UMOM Shelters and The Phoenix Philanthropists from any and all liabilities concerning your participation in this activity including your children and guests. Random backgroud checks are conducted.
Please follow the map details from the link under Location at the top of the event info.
Thanks for all you do!