PHOTO SHOOT Pinnacles Nat'l Monument
Greg (latoga) has set this up... here's what he has to say:
I'm planning on heading down to Pinnacles National Monument next Saturday (1/26). Pinnacles is great for the varying terrain that is available on the many hiking trails. It is also one of the few areas where you can catch the California Condors coasting on the currents. (Here are some images from last year's trip).
I plan on parking at the Bear Gulch Visitor Center, which is from the East entrance. See the PDF Pinnacles Map from the website. I'll be at the visitor's center by 10am and hitting the trail at 10:30am. If we get a group, we can coordinate a place and time to get together later in the afternoon.
- Wide angle lenses for landscapes
- Telephotos/extenders for wildlife (condors)
- Flashlight/headlamps for caves (if they are open)
- Clothing: layers, rain layer just in case..."
I might also add:
Bring snacks and water.
(I'd like to go too, but am not sure if I can make it. Please contact latoga for add'l info about this, or just visit the park website at https://www.nps.gov/pi... (https://www.nps.gov/pinn/) for details).
Directions from SF Bay Area:
- Take Hwy 101 south thru Gilroy to Hwy 25 South.
- On Hwy 25, go thru Hollister, continue about 30 miles to Hwy 146.
-Turn right on Hwy 146, follow to Pinnacles. If the entrance station is closed, continue to the visitor center to check in.
East entrance is open 24 hours a day.