addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The South Bay Photography Meetup Group Message Board › A way that my photos improve

A way that my photos improve

Patrick
PjTraveler
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 22
Aside from the comeradrie and a nice location, the photo shoot improved my photos. It helped me expand what I see by watching and seeing what other people saw. It gave me new angles and new compositions that I would not have originally seen. This is one of the ways that my photography improves.

I would chalenge you to find ways to expand your photographic eye.

What works for you?
A former member
Post #: 11
I agree to what you say about that the event was really helpful, an it was indeed a pleasure meeting you all!

I find it difficult to say what works for me - it seems that I learned more about what does not work (which is a good start biggrin ). Of the many photos I took I kept only about 10 and considered the rest irrelevant or just plain boring. Which doesn't necessarily mean that the rest is really interesting wink Over time, I hope to develop a better feeling when, although a subject may be pleasant and nice and everything, taking a photo which doesn't go beyond that is not worth taking. If I only keep 10 anyway, why take a hundred? Are those 10 "lucky shots" or do they reflect any intention? Haven't they been taken a thousand times before already? Was there any intention at all in the first place, or was there just some idea "this could come out nicely"?

Taking (and throwing away, or storing) digital pictures almost doesn't cost a penny. Maybe I'd be more considerate if I'd had to pay for prints, and think more before pressing the trigger. This experience is similar to when I switched to my first camera with automatic exposure and autofocus (before then I had to adjust all controls manually) - preparation time suddenly got significantly shorter, but I put less thought into each picture, rather started to "click away", and neither quality nor "yield" increased.

I also hope to improve my own personal "feedback loop" - think about a photo, take it, look at the result, and see what's good (or bad), and then try to apply that before taking the next one.

It's good to think about these matters, thanks to the group and events such as last weekend's!
A former member
Post #: 9
10 is a lot. From my last vacation I had a 25% "keeper" rate and maybe a 2% "this is worth printing" rate. Part of this is because, out of 10-20 shots of one subject, I will only select one to keep. And I only spend that kind of effort on subjects that I know I can handle. Meaning I miss those subjects that I conclude would be too challenging, and I think that's a mistake.

There was a "leica challenge" contest a couple months ago in San Francisco: every participant was given one roll of film and two hours to take the best pictures they could. Kind of a neat idea when contrasted with all the frames we are accustomed to burning through.
A former member
Post #: 3
My photographic eye seems okay to me. Some used unique angles to get fresh perspectives, something I could do more of. First, I need to get cozy using the DSLR. Lotsa practice required.

When shooting, I take a lot of shots; some from slightly different angles or settings. In the end, I find the best in each series and post it. It is good to contemplate settings and angles to make the photo more interesting. It would help if I had more experience but, even when that finally happens, I will not slow down shooting. Especially snapping pics of people. Shots are free. People blink, twitch, and have intermediate expressions which cannot be seen on the display in a timely manner. It is much faster to just fire off several shots. I even find that some people relax and give a genuine smile after they think the last shot was taken.

My ratio is about 50% usable and about 1% printable. From the Japanese Gardens the only one I feel is worthy is one of the squirrel pictures. It doesn't stop me from posting the 50% to Flickr. Not every picture I post has to be perfect. The 2G limit Flickr has hasn't been a hinderence to me yet. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so people like some of my photos I consider just okay. Sometimes it really surprises me what people like. People with "bad taste" need art toobiggrin
Dawn
user 2410284
San Jose, CA
Post #: 21
I've found that over the past two years, seeing the galleries on pbase, comments there, teaching a bit & just sheer conversations have continously caused me to experiment with both viewfinder, photoshop and style.

One interesting note, talking with someone who is still heavy use film. (with a 'bah!' attitude towards wasting shots digitally- snapshot mentality) versus talking to another photography teacher in my Pepperdine program who encourages his students to shoot digitally and to immediately be able to experiment with best angles, lighting, etc. As a result, I find myself, trying to not take a 'hasty' shot, but I will take multiple shots, but vary lighting & angle a bit from frame to frame.

Of course there's that whole color profiling thing I have yet to get figured out, but I'll get there! ;D