addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Francisco Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Portable file storage for traveling

Portable file storage for traveling

Closed to new replies

Anny
user 3380623
Citrus Heights, CA
Post #: 156
I will be traveling overseas soon and I am looking to buy a portable storage for my images. Anyone know which is the best and at the best price? I want to download the files to free up my memory cards.
Thanks for any suggestions
Anny
larry p.
user 9224458
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 52
Anny,
If you're bringing a laptop, then I would just download them to an external hard drive. I don't know how long you're going or if you're going to be out in the "boondocks", but that's what I've done in the past. I also have a portable data storage unit too that's made by Wolverine; battery powered, just plug your card in and download. The only down side is the unit I have, doesn't have a viewing screen to preview the images, it's just a storage unit. I've heard there are other similar units that do have viewing screens, but I'm not sure of the manufacturer. It's compact too, about the size of a large cell phone an inch thick or so.

www.wolverinedate.com

Hope this helps,
Larry
Anny
user 3380623
Citrus Heights, CA
Post #: 157
Thanks Larry, I will check this out.

I am going to Denmark. My birth place. We will be in Copehagen and other towns close by. I won't be bringing a laptop, unless of course 1 falls out of the sky into my lap...biggrin I will be there for 2 weeks. Now on to planning the rest of the trip...WOOHOO!!
Anny
user 3380623
Citrus Heights, CA
Post #: 158
I might just check out a netbook too. I am reading lots and there are quite a few people who are suggesting a netbook. Now to find one which is in my budget...or I could just buy more memory cards?
larry p.
user 9224458
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 53
Oops...that should be www.wolverinedata.com

Wow, Denmark...that should be fun. I didn't even think of netbooks, that's not a bad idea either.
Eric M.
user 31108752
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Anny, I have a goflex sattilite which is a wireless external drive. When i travel i transfer my files to my netbook then copy them wirelessly to my sattilite for a backup.

I luv it!

Eric