addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › My critiques on the "Looking Up" photo comp ....

My critiques on the "Looking Up" photo comp ....

Closed to new replies

Jack S.
user 9198037
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 59
YOWZA.... .... I really don't know what happened to cause me
to go on a "critique(ing) rampage" shock ... Maybe it was due to an over
abundance of "coffees, Pepsi's and a Nanaimo Bar" (during the day/
evening) and my apologies if I offended anyone ...and let me know
and I will delete them post haste .

Cheers from a bewildered (at my actions) moi confused

Jack
Trish
TrishR
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 406
Hi Jack!
You're too funny! Should we send out a recon party to determine the extent of the damage???
:D

A former member
Post #: 332
Jack I had a quick look at some of your comments and I think you have absolutely nothing to apologize for. You weren't being spiteful or mean in your critiques, but merely giving good advice. You are one of the more experienced photographers on this site and have extensive knowledge about what makes a good photograph.

The overwhelming reason given by people to join this group is to 'learn to take better photographs'. Nobody learns anything by being told that everything they take is 'cool' or 'great', when they obviously have some problems. These problems can be overcome, but only if they are pointed out. Naturally it's better to do this in a respectful manner since it is not easy to put yourself out there to be judged.

I hope you continue being honest and that others follow suit.
Jack S.
user 9198037
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 60
Hi Jack!
You're too funny! Should we send out a recon party to determine the extent of the damage???
:D

Hi Trish,

I think you might have to and, if found, check me in for the proverbial three(3) days shock as my
"totally unlike me" rampage continued ......I got home (around midnight) and did Laundryconfused

And the really scary part is ...I just finished a "Nanaimo Bar" shock ..... so who knows what might happen
this afternoon or this evening biggrin

Cheers and looking for my safety helmet ;)

Jack
Diane G.
user 11823443
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 4
Ditto - I was the recipient of one of Jack's comments and I truly appreciated them.
Jack S.
user 9198037
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 61
Jack I had a quick look at some of your comments and I think you have absolutely nothing to apologize for. You weren't being spiteful or mean in your critiques, but merely giving good advice. You are one of the more experienced photographers on this site and have extensive knowledge about what makes a good photograph.

The overwhelming reason given by people to join this group is to 'learn to take better photographs'. Nobody learns anything by being told that everything they take is 'cool' or 'great', when they obviously have some problems. These problems can be overcome, but only if they are pointed out. Naturally it's better to do this in a respectful manner since it is not easy to put yourself out there to be judged.

Thanks Andy smile I haven't gone back to see what I actually wrote (yet) but, hopefully, I was as decent (in my view) as you say I was.

Cheers and thanks again :)

Jack
Confusion C.
user 3160827
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 200
I still cry myself to sleep every night due to some comments Jack made about my cactus collection about 15 years ago. Something about the cactus being "too spiky".....

laughing
Bonnie W
user 11713001
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
I thought you were most critical when critiquing your own shots! Otherwise you were very helpful, even to yourself.
Trish
TrishR
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 407

Hi everyone! I had a call from a member who thought that some of the comments might hurt people's feelings -- so I read through each and every comment Jack made on the "Looking up" album. I found nothing there that anyone should find offensive or hurtful, although Jack I see that you edited one of the comments -- so maybe this is the one that prior to your edit was a little too detailed about how it could be better. And your own comments to self (your own criticisms of your own photos) were instructive in and of themselves and provide us with some ideas of how we could "speak" to others when we have ideas of how photos might be better.

My comment on this line of thinking is that we have, in the past several months, been nurturing a "supportive" environment with respect to pictures posted on the site. This was somewhat intentional to encourage folks to participate -- and to provide a safe environment for members to post whatever pictures they like. It has worked and many members feel that while they might not feel entirely comfortable because they are only starting out or trying to improve, that they can "show" their photos to other members -- and receive positive feedback from time to time.

Because of this warm and soft environment that we have created, 'critiques' or comments pointing out deficiencies or what could have been done to improve a photo would seem to stand out, and recipients of such comments might be a little confused and shocked because at the most they would expect to receive a compliment, and perhaps a lack of compliment is the only indication that the photo was in some way "lacking" -- which isn't necessarily good information (or accurate, or helpful).

I agree with Andy that it's more difficult to learn to improve when receiving only good comments like "great" or "cool". So, I'd like to invite everyone to discuss what we would like to encourage in terms of providing "critiques" of others photos on the Albums -- if members would like to receive "critiques" -- in what format and to what end -- and any rules that we should have in place for providing constructive criticisms.

I'm going to close off any further discussion on this thread and begin a new thread for the new discussion of critiquing at: Help develop a group policy to "critique" each others' photos

Thanks everyone!

Trish