addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Victoria Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Looking for a Nikon lens

Looking for a Nikon lens

Barry
Photo3333
Victoria, BC
Post #: 4
Hi Everyone

My Nikon ( Nikkor 18-70 mm F/3.5-4.5G ) has had enough. Yesterday it malfunctioned while I was in Victoria so I dropped into the camera shop at the Market Mall.

The tecky advised me as it is a kit lens (that came as a package) there are plenty of these around. It would cost more to fix than buy a used lens.

My question is does anyone have a Nikkor 18-70 mm F/3.5-4.5G lens for sale?

Thanks.........Barry
Andrew W.
user 13707296
Victoria, BC
Post #: 68
I do not but I found one on UsedVictoria... http://www.usedvictor...­ (No idea if that is a good price or not)
James Y.
user 47531632
Victoria, BC
Post #: 56
Nikon 18 -55 mm are usually $100 on used Victoria
Andrew W.
user 13707296
Victoria, BC
Post #: 69
Right ok... so is the extra 15mm worth $60? Haggle.
Mikhail
user 9017253
Victoria, BC
Post #: 143
Barry -- also check Camera Traders and used departments of Kerrisdale (both have online lists) and Lens & Shutter (in person).

What camera are you shooting with? The 18-55 is reportedly good on up to 12MP cameras, while the 18-70 (reportedly again) works well on up to 24MP cameras. A used 18-55 VR should be below $200, while I have seen used 18-70 listed for just above $100.
James Y.
user 47531632
Victoria, BC
Post #: 57
Barry -- also check Camera Traders and used departments of Kerrisdale (both have online lists) and Lens & Shutter (in person).

What camera are you shooting with? The 18-55 is reportedly good on up to 12MP cameras, while the 18-70 (reportedly again) works well on up to 24MP cameras. A used 18-55 VR should be below $200, while I have seen used 18-70 listed for just above $100.
What do mean the 18 - 55 mm is best suited for 12 mp cameras? They sell it as a kit on the D 7100. Do you know something that I should be aware of using my 18- 55 mm VR with my D7100? If so please tell me more. I googled it and came up with nothing. Thanks you.
Mikhail
user 9017253
Victoria, BC
Post #: 144
James -- you can for example check posts by Thom Hogan. He recommends Nikon 18-55 lenses for cameras with sensors no more than 16MP:

http://www.bythom.com...­
http://www.bythom.com...­

Here is a DxO test of 18-55 versus 18-70 on D7000 (16MP). Note the difference in sharpness:

http://tinyurl.com/kq...­

Overall, from what I have read, there is nothing wrong with 18-55 on D7100, except that the 24MP sensor out-resolves this lens and it affects the image quality.
James Y.
user 47531632
Victoria, BC
Post #: 58
Wow! Some great information you passed on, thanks for that. Now I know what FX lens to buy. That information should be posted in it`s own thread. It would help a lot of people with lens purchasing questions they might have.
Mikhail
user 9017253
Victoria, BC
Post #: 145
James -- thanks! I have found that the quality of Thom Hogan's reviews has been consistently good. Lots of info on Nikon-mount gear is on his old site www.bythom.com (now split into several new sites). His mirrorless camera content is on www.sansmirror.com
Barry
Photo3333
Victoria, BC
Post #: 5
WOW !!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

Never connected like this before you guy's are amazing. I am shooting with a D300.
Love all the info thanks again........Barry