addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Paris Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Street Photography - takers?

Street Photography - takers?

Gabriel
user 12818458
Paris, FR
Post #: 15
I don't know who here is interested in doing "street photography". Whether this is your passion, a strong interest or just "high-level" enthusiasts of street photography, please reply to this thread (or to contact me, please see below).

I intend on organizing a few little, tight groups for a "photo hunt". Nevermind "droit d'image", as if you're versed in what "street photography" is about you very well know how to avoid that in your images, should that be your concern.

Initially, I think of organizing two groups of people based on schedule: one that can meet during the day during the workweek, and another that can meet on a weekend. Evening/night group is a possibility.

I love candid photography, and the streets of Paris are a great setting, but I find that many times, it is best to be teamed-up where the comfort level of shooting outdoors and sharing ideas during the street safari can be invigorating and let the creative juices flow. It'd also be a great opportunity to exchange ideas, methods, and discussions!

You may contact me via Meetup by clicking: http://www.meetup.com/photo-68/message/?recipientId=12818458­ ... or if that doesn't work, e-mail: canio-at-hotmail-dot-com
Linda
user 6933155
Paris, FR
Post #: 7
Hi Gabriel,
This is the point of our photo shoots around Paris, which we organize regularly. We shoot in groups in a particular neighborhood and post the photos on this site. Please join us sometime. And of course, it's a great idea to organize smaller groups as well. You can never do too much shooting. smile
Gabriel
user 12818458
Paris, FR
Post #: 16
Hi Gabriel,
This is the point of our photo shoots around Paris, which we organize regularly. We shoot in groups in a particular neighborhood and post the photos on this site. Please join us sometime. And of course, it's a great idea to organize smaller groups as well. You can never do too much shooting. smile

Hello Linda,

Thank you for your post. I should mention that I have indeed joined this group's meetings over the past two-and-a-half years, maybe if not as often in the past four months (brrrr!) You may not remember me, but I remember you!

I understand your confusion, since it is evident that what we do in this group is generally to go out in groups of people (sometimes *many* people), outdoors, and literally that would be photography taken on the street.

I'm talking about "Street Photography"; as a genre, it is a general style and discipline; there has been a long, ages-old debate about what that means and perhaps this thread wouldn't be the place to have such academia debated, but it suffices to say that "Street Photography" can be done on the street, on the beach, even indoors, but its essence is the same: candid, unstaged, fleeting, with a sense of "action". That's oversimplifying it.

My post is meant to reach out to those who understand what "Street Photography" would mean beyond the context of just "going outdoors to take photos", and meet and work as a team. I thought that our group would be a good way to start, since we have a whole range of photographer types, from novices, through enthusiasts through mentoring professionals.

Please take a look at the work by Bruce Gilden, Winogrand, Erwitt, William Klein (just to name a few). Or even this quick read: 10 Famous Street Photography Quotes You Must Know

Again, those of you who are passionate or deeply interested in "Street Photography", please reply to this thread or send me a message via my profile.

Thanks!
Linda
user 6933155
Paris, FR
Post #: 8
Hi Gabriel,
For some of our street shoots, we've begun limiting the number of members with the idea that smaller numbers make for a different experience. We're trying it both ways, large and small. We often have a goal, and I know I would love to have ideas from others about what kinds of shoots you would like to do around Paris. It's a great idea to start a discussion about inspirations and technique. Choosing a favorite lens was a first step for me. A few months ago I bought a good 24mm lens to shoot Paris in wide angle. The 50mm favored by some of my favorite Paris photographers wasn't doing it for me. Other members prefer 21mm or 14mm. And of course the masterful iphone shots by Vanna, Alex and others. All very different views of the same city.

Many of us in the group share our photos. I'd love to see your photos. My Paris photo du jour is available here:
Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/lindahervieux
On Twitter @lindahervieux
On Facebook www.facebook.com/lindahervieux