This Meetup was canceled.
HDR, macro and Light Painting at Carrie Furnace.
This is an unique opportunity to have access to an abandoned location, legally, for HDR.
As always we will have a small group size to maximize your photo opportunities.
Please note that all of our workshops require the participants sign a liability waiver. Download it; then print, read, and sign it and bring it with you -- Thank you! http://tinyurl.com/cuchara-waiver16 Please note that some locations will have you sign their liability waiver at the site as well. Please note that this and all classes/workshops have no refunds. By signing up for our classes/tours/workshops, you agree to our terms and conditions, see http://www.photographybylisaandtom.com/p/workshops.html
Carrie Furnace is a derelict former blast furnace located along the Monongahela River in the Pittsburgh area industrial town of Rankin, Pennsylvania. It had formed a part of the Homestead Steel Works. The Carrie Furnaces were built in 1884 and they operated until 1982. During its peak, the site produced 1000 to 1250 tons of iron per day. All that is left of the site are furnaces #6 and #7, which operated from 1907 - 1978,along with the hot metal bridge.
More photos here on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43446162@N05/sets/72157633312168223/
The Carrie Furnaces are part of an abandoned industrial site. Please dress accordingly; no open-toed shoes. At this time, the Carrie Furnaces are not wheel chair accessible.
If using online maps/directions or GPS, please use 115 WEST BRADDOCK AVENUE, RANKIN, PA (Hidy’s Café, which is the nearest physical address), then follow directions from #7 below.
General Directions to Carrie Furnaces:
From the west via Homestead and 8th Avenue
1. Proceed through Homestead on 8th Avenue to the Rankin Bridge.
2. Turn LEFT onto Rankin Bridge.
3. At the end of the bridge, bear RIGHT onto Braddock Exit Ramp.
4. Proceed through the traffic light and follow the ramp.
5. Turn LEFT at the stop sign onto Fleet Street.
6. Turn LEFT onto W. Braddock Ave. and follow the road approx. 300 yards
7. Travel under the Rankin Bridge, (passing Hidy’s Café on your left) and turn LEFT by the concrete pillar with a faint blue “Carrie Furnaces ” sign and cross 1 set of railroad tracks, then RIGHT through the gate and follow the “Carrie Furnace Tours” signs, following the road to the right when you exit the tunnel.
8. Park across from the fenced area and proceed to the Blowing Engine House to register.
Please use extreme caution when crossing the railroad tracks as these are live tracks with no warning signals.