Location visible to members
This is a low stress walk in an industrial area with very few people and virtually no other dogs (but it's always a good idea to carry some kind of deterrent on you like spray shield to ward off loose dogs). RSVP for dogs only. This walk is OKAY for reactive dogs on proper equipment (see below).
These are walks without a host (a chako volunteer may or may not show up to walk his or her own dog); because we do lots of rescue and other events on the weekends, just remember that you are likely to be on your own. It's just a time and a place for you all to get together and responsibly walk your dogs). I recommend that whoever shows up wait about five minutes after the start time in case some other folks are running a few minutes behind (but try to show up on time for everyone's sake!) :) Walkers: always check the RSVP list for the walk you are planning to attend the night before or morning of to make sure others are going to be there (if you want to walk in a group-otherwise of course you can walk alone!). Because these are recurring and on your own, some weeks there may be few walkers and other weeks there may be many!
You can walk all the way around Commerce Circle a few times (it is a loop) or go the larger loop by taking Lathrop. See map here (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=340+commerce+circle,+sacramento,+ca&hl=en&hnear=340+Commerce+Cir,+Sacramento,+California+95815&gl=us&t=w&z=16): https://maps.google.com/maps?q=340+commerce+circle,+sacramento,+ca&hl=en&hnear=340+Commerce+Cir,+Sacramento,+California+95815&gl=us&t=w&z=16
There are a few guidelines we ask participants to follow:
• Every dog must be on a very secure leash and collar.
• You MUST back up your dog's equipment. That means use a european training leash (Google will bring up a few) and two collars (or a collar and harness or head halter) or try a leash like this one: http://leerburg.com/5131.htm . You can also use a two dog coupler or carabiner to backup. Basically the idea is a backup piece of equipment attached to the leash in some way (or the other collar) in case the first one comes undone or otherwise fails.
• Skip 1 or 2 of your dog's meals prior to the walk (let your dog have as much water as he or she likes).
• Bring Tasty Treats (cooked chicken or steak, for example, cut into dime sized pieces. Bring enough to fill a LARGE quart-sized baggie (NOT a sandwich baggie).
• Do NOT let your dog approach other dogs. Always keep a solid 10 foot distance between your dog and every other dog. Remember, this walk is okay for reactive dogs, so do everyone a favor and do not let your dog invade another dog's space. We're here to help everyone, and you won't be helping by letting your dog get up close and personal with another dog.
• Yes, this walk is open to dogs that LOVE other dogs, too. It's a great way to get out and walk your dog; but again, keep all dogs separate. It's not playtime!
• Bring water for you and your dogs and poop bags.
• Wear sensible shoes.
• No more than ONE dog per person.
Walk will last about an hour to an hour and a half - but the actual length is really up to the walkers!
PLEASE make sure you cancel your RSVP if your plans change and you cannot attend. We do NOT want only ONE person wasting his or her time by showing up. So be courteous to your other meetup folks and CANCEL at least 24 hours in advance if you cannot make it and have already RSVPd yes.
By participating in this walk, you recognize that you are solely responsible for your dog, and you further release Chako Pit Bull Rescue and its officers, agents and volunteers from any injury or damages sustained by you, your child (if applicable), or your dog as a result of your participation.
OPEN to all breeds!