addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan Cookbooks

Vegan Cookbooks

Rachael
SmartFamily
Sewickley, PA
Post #: 30
I got a $50 gift card to amazon.com for my birthday and I am thinking about using it to buy some vegan cookbooks that I have been wanting. So, here's what I was thinking of:

1. Veganomicon
2. Vegan Baking
3. Farm Cookbook (there is a used copy on there for under a dollar! Michael, that wouldn't be your well loved but slightly burnt copy would it?)
4. Uncheese Cookbook (or maybe one of her other books)

I know some of you have some of these and I've heard good things about them. Any thoughts, things you do/don't like about them, other books you would recomend?

1. I prefer recipes that don't have a lot of oddball ingredients. Nothing worse than buying something for a recipe (of which you need a tiny amount of the quantity in the package) and then having that ingredient sit on your shelf for the next year because nothing else you make calls for it.

2. With two young kids, complicated recipes that take half the day to make are also typically out of the question, so I want books with a lot of simple, easy to make recipes.

Thanks!

Rachael
Aviva
user 3075666
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 110
If you're going to buy Veganomicon, you should buy Vegan with a Vengeance as well! I love that book! There are lots of fun tips and tricks in it for vegan cooking/baking.

Also, any of Sarah Kramer's books. Some of her cookbooks include recipe for making your own facials, and maybe some dog treats. I have How it all Vegan and The Garden of Vegan.
A former member
Post #: 129
The Mediterranean Vegan by Donna Klein is my second favorite cookbook of all time - simple, down-to-earth, and most importantly GOOD recipes.

Second, of course, only to my own, but mine is not commercially available! confused

Of the ones you listed, I only have The Joy of Vegan Baking. I have only used it once so far, but that recipe turned out really, really good - the rugelach, Aviva - and the rest of the book looks like it'll be a good resource, as well.
Jo and Michael S.
TheSteps
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 21
Well, I'm a little biased, but I'd recommend The Uncheese Cookbook AND the new Vegan Vittles: Second Helpings. Both are excellent, IMHO of course. biggrin

~Jo
A former member
Post #: 8
I was slightly disappointed by Veganomicon. It uses a lot of weird ingredients and flavors. I prefer books by Sarah Kramer; The Garden of Vegan, La Dolce Vegan, and/or How It All Vegan. These are my favorites! I love Vegan Viddles and CozyInside cookbooks as well.
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 138
I would recommend Vegan Vittles as well - lots of good recipes. I also think that the Joy of Vegan Baking is great - I've tried a couple of things from there and they were both fantastic (plus it contains a lot of helpful information regarding vegan baking in general.

I actually like the Veganomicon - I've made several recipes from it. The thing about it is that things are seasoned very mildly - if you're like me and like things kind of "kicked up a notch" as the saying goes, then you'll just need to add more of what she calls for (or additional things, if you are creative - I often do that as a matter of course with any recipe. It is definitely an extensive cookbook.

I just recently got Cozy Inside and haven't had much of a chance to explore it, but it looks good.

Sally
Rachael
SmartFamily
Sewickley, PA
Post #: 31
Well, I'm a little biased, but I'd recommend The Uncheese Cookbook AND the new Vegan Vittles: Second Helpings. Both are excellent, IMHO of course. biggrin

~Jo

How do you feel about your original vegan vittles book vs the new one? What are the differences?
Stacey B.
bandana.mama
Clarion, PA
Post #: 22
I was slightly disappointed by Veganomicon. It uses a lot of weird ingredients and flavors.

I was too. I'm not crazy for ethnic foods [like Ethiopian and whatnot] and Vcon had lots of odd things in it. I understand that some of it is knock-off Jewish food and it's not bad but I don't' regularly stock my kitchen with a lot of the items she uses.

Mama Stacey
Jo and Michael S.
TheSteps
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 22

~Jo

How do you feel about your original vegan vittles book vs the new one? What are the differences?

The book has many, many new recipes (a few of the ones from the first edition are not in Second Helpings one so we could make room for the new ones). There is a new intro and foreword by Gene Baur (of Farm Sanctuary), new animal stories and hand-drawn artist portraits of them, several new "veganisms," several new "tips," and, of course, a beautiful new layout and design. Many of the "old" recipes have been updated. The directions are crisper and clearer. And overall the book is much easier to read and use. Of all of my books, it's my favorite, and the new recipes are delish!

~Jo
Pierce
Pierce_
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 27
On a related note... I'm trying to get away from a bunch of processed foods, but I don't have the time or the patience to spend a lot of time cooking. Are there any vegan cook books that kind of have a middle ground?