addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan Cookbooks

Vegan Cookbooks

A former member
Post #: 4
How It all Vegan
and (the sequel),
Garden of Vegan
Rachel
user 8082187
Jeannette, PA
Post #: 6
Well, I'm a little biased, but I'd recommend The Uncheese Cookbook AND the new Vegan Vittles: Second Helpings. Both are excellent, IMHO of course. biggrin

~Jo

I work for Barnes & Noble and was sorry to find the Uncheese Cookbook listed as being out of print. Outside of looking online for a used copy, is there any way I can still get it? Thanks!
Jo and Michael S.
TheSteps
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 49
Well, I'm a little biased, but I'd recommend The Uncheese Cookbook AND the new Vegan Vittles: Second Helpings. Both are excellent, IMHO of course. biggrin

~Jo

I work for Barnes & Noble and was sorry to find the Uncheese Cookbook listed as being out of print. Outside of looking online for a used copy, is there any way I can still get it? Thanks!

The ORIGINAL Uncheese Cookbook is out of print. However, it was completely overhauled and transformed into The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook (by Jo Stepaniak), which is alive and well and selling everywhere! If you are able to get it into the store you work for, that would be fantastic! The same is true for Vegan Vittles. The revised edition is Vegan Vittles: Second Helpings (also by Jo Stepaniak).

Thanks!

~Jo
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 355
Recently I've been rediscovering my very first vegan cookbook - our own Jo Stepaniak's Table for Two. I met Jo at Carnegie Mellon's heath fair several years ago, and while I wasn't vegan (or even vegetarian) at the time, the idea of eating less meat was appealing so I bought her book for ideas.

What I really like about it is that I'm not big on leftovers, and cooking for just me and my husband often leaves us with lots of them - this cookbook is designed for two servings. And there are great cookie recipes in the back that make just a dozen cookies. That's great for me because when there are a dozen, for some reason I'm less likely to eat half a dozen at a time smile

I made the eggplant tempeh pot-pies on Wednesday night, and my husband - a self-proclaimed tempeh hater - really liked it.

Anyway, if you are just one or two, and like me don't always relish eating the same leftovers for breakfast, lunch and dinner all week, I highly recommend this one.

Sally
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 410
I've been playing with Isa's new Vegan Brunch, and the recipes are delicious! Last night I made the broccoli quiche and it turned out great. I added some Daiya's Cheddar Cheeze Shreds both in the batter (not part of the recipe) and then sprinkled a little on top during the last 10 minutes to get all melty. Yum! I brought a piece in to work for breakfast this morning and had folks hovering around my office to find out what smelled so good...

I also have made some of the other recipes from the book and they've all been tasty. I like the simple but hearty gravy made with smoked almonds - goes great as a base for some vegan sausage gravy over biscuits (Isa has a great recipe for herbed ones in the book too).

Next I'd like to try one of her sausage recipes. And an omlet. Oh, and the pumpkin french toast. I'm going to make the Mother's Breakfast Casserole for the potluck on the 21st - that looks tasty too.

I love brunch.

Sally
A former member
Post #: 2
I recommend the Vegan Family Cookbook.

It's about time for me to purchase my own copy, since I've borrowed a copy of it for much too long. I have yet to find a recipe in this book that my entire family didn't like. Even my omni husband likes the recipes (granted, he usually tosses some meat into the finished meal) but he actually had seconds (sans meat) when it came to the vegan quiche pie recipe.

Happy eating!

~stephy
A former member
Post #: 9
Skinny Bitch In The Kitch is good, in my humble opinion. Also the Skinny Bitch Diet is a good read. My intro book was The Idiot's Guide To Vegan Living.
Aviva
user 3075666
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 267
Ani Phyo has a new raw food book coming out April 1: http://aniphyo.com/...­ You can pre-order it on amazon now. It'll be a hardback book, with lots of simple recipes, not a lot of dehydrating required.
A former member
Post #: 6
Table for Two is one of my go-to cookbooks- my copy is from ages ago and totally beat up and falling apart. lol My other old go-to books are Moosewood's Low Fat (some recipes aren't vegan, but a lot are) and Horn of the Moon. I recently got Vegan Planet, and it's pretty awesome too.

For desserts, Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World & Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar are phenomenal!
Ashley
user 7234612
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 3
Look at Terry Hope Romero's new cookbook, Viva Vegan--Latin dishes for vegans.