PLEASE be mindful of Pleasure Palate's Attendance and 3-Strikes Policies regarding RSVPs, last minute cancellations and "No-Shows." This will be the very last Grilled Cheese Night at Campanile and may very well be our last dinner at Campanile as well as they will shutter their doors for good on November 1st, after 23 years of glorious business.
Campanile is housed in an historic and dramatic structure built in 1929 by architect Roy Sheldon Price for Hollywood legend Charlie Chaplin. Mr Chaplin originally intended to use the building for personal offices, but surrendered ownership to his second wife, Lita Grey, as part of their divorce settlement. In the late 1980s, following decades of neglect, the building was purchased by Executive Chef Mark Peel, former Pastry Chef Nancy Silverton and former Wine Director Manfred Krankl. Architect Josh Schweitzer supervised a complete remodel, converting the structure into a magical space intended for a bakery and restaurant. La Brea Bakery opened in January of 1989, with Campanile following six months later.
Over the past twenty years, both the restaurant and its Executive Chef, Mark Peel, have received numerous awards, including: the James Beard Foundation's "Outstanding Restaurant Award - 2001," the "Los Angeles Culinary Master of the Year," and Food & Wine's "Best New Chefs." We have also been nominated for the James Beard Foundation's "Outstanding Wine Service Award," its "Best California Chef Award" and, most recently, their "Outstanding Restaurant Award - 2008."
However, all good things must come to an end. It has been reported last month that Chef Walter Manzke will be taking over the space at Campanile, and with that, Chef Mark Peel announced that Campanile will be closing its doors for good effective November 1. Campanile will relocated, of all places, to the inside of Terminal 4 at LAX.
Yelp Reviewers give Campanile an average of 3.5 out of 5 Stars (from 507 reviews), with a majority of the reviews giving 4 Stars. You can read the reviews HERE.
MENUS BELOW ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE:
GRILLED CHEESE MENU: (All sandwiches include a mixed green salad)
Classic Grilled Cheese...13
Classic Grilled Cheese with marinated onion &/or whole grain mustard...14
Croque Monsieur ham, gruyère, roasted wild mushrooms, mornay sauce...15
Croque Madame ham, gruyère, fried egg...16
Autostrada cured Italian meats, provolone, cherry peppers...15
Figs & Speck bleu cheese, wild arugula, truffle honey...17
Reuben smoked pastrami, sauerkraut, gruyère, corn rye bread ...17
Housemade Pork Sausage parsley pesto, roasted red peppers, sauerkraut, taleggio...17
Burrata cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, asparagus, pine nuts, parsley pesto...15
French Fries…8 bacon aïoli, curry ketchup, truffle aioli
REGULAR DINNER MENU:
- Roasted Tomato Soup parsley pesto, croutons...12
- White Bean Puree olive oil, balsamic reduction, crostini...12
- Duck Meatballs shaved parmesan, basil ...8
- Saffron Deviled Eggs chives, bacon bits...6
- Pickled Green Beans lemon, chile de arbol, garlic...6
- Aged USDA Prime Rib flageolet beans, bitter greens, black olive tapenade...38
- Pan-Seared Scallops creamy polenta, vanilla butter carrots, asparagus, wild arugula...30
- Crisp Flattened Chicken mashed potatoes, garlic confit, lemon, arugula...24
- Grilled Striped Bass grilled broccolini, kalamata olives, blistered cherry tomatoes...28
- Olive Oil Poached Salmon saffron orzo, wild arugula, feta, parsley pesto...30
- Grilled Pork Chop herbed kasha, roasted brussels sprouts, bacon lardons...32
Cheese Plate served with Membrillo, lemon pepper crackers, marcona almonds...15
Cabot Clothbound - Vermont, cow, sharp, nutty, firm
Brebirousse - France, sheep, silky, bloomy rind
Smokey Bleu - Orgon, cow, silky, smoked, semi-soft
- Bibb Lettuce herb salad, lemon vinaigrette, fleur de sel
- Whole Leaf Caesar Salad red onion, croutons, shaved parmesan
- Roasted Beet Salad wild arugula, prosciutto, oregano vinaigrette, feta
- Strawberry Salad mixed greens, chevre, strawberry & white balsamic vinaigrette, pecans, vanilla pickled fennel
- Spaghetti di Nero octopus bolognese, aleppo pepper, shaved parmesan
- Sauteed Trenne garlic, shallots, bitter greens, bolognese Fresh Sheep’s Milk Cheese Ravioli wild mushrooms, tomato cream sauce
- Mashed Potatoes
- French Fries
- Boca Negra chocolate sauce, banana ice cream
- Pear Brown Butter Tart rum caramel, caramelized honey ice cream
- Coconut Panna Cotta lemon verbena sauce, huckleberry compote, candied almonds
- Housemade Ice Cream banana, brownie bites, chocolate sauce
- Seasonal Sorbet mango, passion fruit pâte de fruit, roasted pineapple
Large Party Policy - Parties of 6 or more will receive an automatic 20% gratuity added to their final bill.
The cost of dinner here can average from $30 to $60, depending on how much food you order, any beverages, tax and 20% gratuity. As such, please bring at least $80 in CASH to settle your portion of the bill.
Smart Casual Dress is recommended. They have valet parking for $6.50 in the lot just to the south of the restaurant. In addition, there is also street parking. Be sure to read the signs carefully for any parking restrictions. As usual, please call me if you arrive before I do, or are running late or are lost. I will email all attendees my contact number the morning of the event. We will meet inside the restaurant in the bar area.