addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Postmodern Book Club Message Board Book nominations › Nominations for our discussion in February/March 2014

Nominations for our discussion in February/March 2014

Richard I.
user 22062261
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 91
Here's the shortlist you can choose from. Then vote for your favourite here­.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (http://amzn.to/PzZvoy­)

Every weekend, in basements and parking lots across the country, young men with good white-collar jobs and absent fathers take off their shoes and shirts and fight each other barehanded for as long as they have to. Then they go back to those jobs with blackened eyes and loosened teeth and the sense that they can handle anything. Fight Club is the invention of Tyler Durden, projectionist, waiter and dark, anarchic genius. And it's only the beginning of his plans for revenge on a world where cancer support groups have the corner on human warmth. (224 pages)

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (http://amzn.to/15JVKsv­)

Depicting the gradual disintegration of the Compson family through four fractured narratives, The Sound and the Fury explores intense, passionate family relationships where there is no love, only self-centredness. At its heart this is a novel about lovelessness - 'only an idiot has no grief; only a fool would forget it. What else is there in this world sharp enough to stick to your guts? (288 pages)

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov (http://amzn.to/WqB3ZQ­)

The American poet John Shade is dead; murdered. His last poem, Pale Fire, is put into a book, together with a preface, a lengthy commentary and notes by Shade's editor, Charles Kinbote. Known on campus as the 'Great Beaver', Kinbote is haughty, inquisitive, intolerant, but is he also mad, bad - and even dangerous? As his wildly eccentric annotations slide into the personal and the fantastical, Kinbote reveals perhaps more than he ought. Who is Charles Kinbote - could he be the exiled King Charles of Zembla, or the Russian madman, Professor Botkin? Or is he just another of John Shade's literary inventions? (256 pages)

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (http://amzn.to/1fSA415­)

The novel features six characters in interlocking stories, each interrupting the one before it: a reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan's California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified dinery server on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation. The narrators of CLOUD ATLAS hear each other's echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changes in ways great and small. (560 pages)

Maidenhair by Mikhail Shishkin (http://amzn.to/1bSr7F3­)

Day after day the Russian asylum-seekers sit across from the interpreter and Peter, the Swiss officers who guard the gates to paradise and tell of the atrocities they've suffered, or that they've invented, or heard from someone else. These stories of escape, war, and violence intermingle with the interpreter's own reading: a hisªtory of an ancient Persian war; letters sent to his son ""Nebuchadnezzasaurus,""­ ruler of a distant, imaginary childhood empire; and the diaries of a Russian singer who lived through Russia's wars and revolutions. (506 pages)

Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada (http://amzn.to/14UfA3C­)

Berlin, 1940, and the city is filled with fear. At the house on 55 Jablonski Strasse, its various occupants try to live under Nazi rule in their different ways: the bullying Hitler loyalists the Persickes, the retired judge Fromm and the unassuming couple Otto and Anna Quangel. Then the Quangels receive the news that their beloved son has been killed fighting in France. Shocked out of their quiet existence, they begin a silent campaign of defiance, and a deadly game of cat and mouse develops between the Quangels and the ambitious Gestapo inspector Escherich. When petty criminals Kluge and Borkhausen also become involved, deception, betrayal and murder ensue, tightening the noose around the Quangels' necks. (608 pages)

Select your favourite and cast your vote here­.
Tiziana
user 12448892
London, GB
Post #: 2
SORRY SORRY SORRY for being pedantic... but I believe the author of Alone in Berlin is Hans Fallada? This book was only translated into English a few years ago, I think.
Perle
user 6997396
Copenhagen, DK
Post #: 26
Richard - can you 'un-do' one vote for the David Mitchell? I've voted for that one but I'm actually moving to Copenhagen before this meet-up so won't be attending (and thus shouldn't have a vote)
Richard I.
user 22062261
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 92
SORRY SORRY SORRY for being pedantic... but I believe the author of Alone in Berlin is Hans Fallada? This book was only translated into English a few years ago, I think.
Don't worry, Tiziana, you are among pedants! I was tired when I wrote all this and not sure how I made the translator into the author, but... Now corrected!
Richard I.
user 22062261
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 93
Richard - can you 'un-do' one vote for the David Mitchell? I've voted for that one but I'm actually moving to Copenhagen before this meet-up so won't be attending (and thus shouldn't have a vote)
Shock news! Moving to Copenhagen? You mean no more coming to our discussions?!
Perle
user 6997396
Copenhagen, DK
Post #: 27
Indeed - it's time to go home....