PUBLISH YOUR BOOK!
A Writer's Guide to the Printing & Publishing Industry
Whether you're writing a novel, poetry, memoir, short stories, or anything else, if you want to publish your work, then this workshop is for you.
In this one day, hands-on, intensive workshop we'll cover everything you need to know, and everything you need to do, to get your work published and into the hands of readers.
- Defining a successful publishing outcome, and deciding whether traditional or DIY (self) publishing is best for you
- Getting your book edited, design and layout considerations, and preparing your file for printing
- Different publishing formats including ebooks, print-on-demand and offset printing, and deciding which is best for your work
- Distribution and logistics, the different options available, and which will get your book into the hands of the right readers
- Marketing Marketing Marketing! Defining and discovering who your readers are, how to connect with them, and what to say
Throughout the day, we'll be applying what we learn in each topic to your writing.
At the end of the day, you'll walk away with a clear understanding of which publishing format and strategy is best for your work, and a roadmap on how to get it published.
But the workshop doesn't end there. You'll also become part of a supportive community of writers and publishers to help you on your journey.
Date: Sunday Jan 21st 2018
Time: 9.30am - 4.30pm
Venue: Room 501, Ikebukuro City Heights, 33-3 Higashi-Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo
7 mins by foot from Ikebukuro Station JR Line (East Exit)
Bring: A piece of writing / project (completed or in development) that you'd like to get published. You'll be applying what you learn to this piece of writing.
Materials: Bring your laptop and a notepad. Workbook / handouts / slides / tea / water / snacks will be provided.
Cost: 8,500 yen
The workshop is a also good first step for writers to determine where they are in the publishing journey, and whether a tour of printing factories in Shenzhen later in 2018 would be useful and interesting.
It's also a condensed, practical-based extension of the 6-part series run with Tokyo Writers Salon (https://www.meetup.com/writers-648/) in 2017. So if you missed any of the sessions, come along!
If you have any questions, post them here, or send us an email!
Hope to see you there :)