1145 S Westwood Blvd , Los Angeles, CA
Proust Cycle 4: We're into volume 5! The Captive by Marcel Proust. Kilmartin/Enright ed. For our next rendezvous, read to the following:
Page 335 - "...but I realized later that it was produced by the snores, not of Mme. Verdurin, but of her dog."
Proust Group #4 poses during a session on The Guermantes Way at Panera-Westwood in July 2016. Photo by R. Aull.
To obtain this edition visit your local library or bookstore or order online through:
For an extensive list of resources on Proust and ISOLT, visit our Message Board
Our Nine-Session Schedule for The Captive/The Fugitive:
• 11/13/2016 p. 100 - "beneath any carnal attraction at all deep, there is the permanent possibility of danger."
• 11/27/2016 p. 220 - "...the things about which we have questioned her in vain and which we shall be able to gather from fresh lips."
• 12/11/2016 p. 335 - "...but I realized later that it was produced by the snores, not of Mme. Verdurin, but of her dog."
• 01/08/2017 p. 445 - "I seemed to behold the luminous gates which were about to close behind me and of which I myself had forged, for an eternal slavery, the inflexible bars of gold."
• 01/22/2017 p. 559 -End of The Captive
• 02/05/2017 p. 662 - "That is the wrong word, since for jealousy there can be neither past nor future, and what it imagines is invariably the present."
• 02/19/2017 p. 752 - End of Chapter One, Grieving and Forgetting
• 03/05/2017 p. 843 - End of Chapter Two, Mademoiselle de Forcheville
• 03/19/2017 p. 936 -End of The Fugitive
You've long wanted to add Proust to your reading accomplishments, now with the help of a group of like-minded explorers, here's your chance to hop the Proust train at the fifth station/volume of the In Search of Lost Time tour.
Proust Group 4 - yes, our fourth embarkation through Marcel Proust's glorious journey - will be at the Panera Bread cafe on Westwood Blvd just one mile east of the 405 Freeway (Santa Monica Blvd or Wilshire Blvd exits).
$2/hr Metered street after 11AM
$6 Flat rate garage under building (enter off Lindbrook)
$3 cash only at Broxton garage one block north—they have electric charging stations.
Free street parking south of Wilshire Blvd (Sundays)
Next Proust Cycles: #5, Summer-Autumn 2017; #6, Winter 2019. We may start Cycle #6 while Group #5 is mid-cycle.
A reader and a Francophile.....
Began reading Proust many years ago, but stalled at some point. Looking forward to starting again.
Excited to be immersing in Proust for the first time with such knowledgeable readers
Rereading ISOLT and Ulysses is even better than the first time around!
Avidly intrigued by Proust