addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Honolulu Pug Meetup Group Message Board › flying with pugs

flying with pugs

Vicki
user 64109772
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 1
Aloha everyone....I'm having issues getting me and my 2 pugs on a flight together....I booked a flight with mokuele and they farmed my flight out to go....and they won't take any pets over 15lbs...mine are 20 and 22lbs....so I found aloha air cargo's loveable pet service....I can't find anything negative....but I'm just terrified and my vet just called and literally made me cry about flying them without me being right there....any suggestions, help or info on aloha would be great!!!!!!
katherine
user 22739301
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 1
Hi, maybe you can cancel your reservation and fly on Hawaiian, I don't think they charge and I've never had an issue with the weight (Roxy weighs about 20). I've never flown her not in cabin tho. She's 8 and she has been flying since she was 8 wks old (I used to be a flight attendant). She is now a service animal so she can fly in cabin because we go to the mainland twice a year. But before she was a service animal I never had any problems about her size jus as long as she fits in her bag and can turn around . So I wouldn't ever tell them how much they weigh, as they arent gonna weigh them. I personally wouldn't fly them in cargo so I would really check switching to Hawaiian.
Pat
NickAbby
Waipahu, HI
Post #: 561
Vicki,
There are so many questions-are you leaving the island or simply going on vacation?
Our flat-nosed breed is at high risk during flying due to stress, heat, dehydration, etc.
I would NEVER fly a pug unless they go in the cabin with you. I've known many pilots over the yrs (my husband is retired AF and I used to be an AF nurse) and they all say the same thing, don't fly with your pet unless you absolutely must, esp. such a long flight to/from HI.
This past wk was a perfect example-airlines normally won't fly any animal during summer mos. and Oct is not classified as summer, but we had extreme vog, no wind, humidity and temps in the 90's-the danger isn't during flight as much as sitting on the tarmac coming and going and when they turn off all a/c while taxiing in and out, which can result in a long wait if it's crowded and busy.
Hope this helps, good luck,
Pat
Trisha
user 28182612
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 3
Pat, do you have any suggestions on what people with two pugs should do when flying? Very few airlines allow pets in the cabin when flying IN to Hawaii, but most/all allow them flying OUT. Alaska Airlines allows ONE small pet per person/ticket per carrier, in the cabin when flying to/from Hawaii. The only airline that allows 2 pets in the same carrier, in the cabin, is Southwest, which as we know isn't flying to/from Hawaii yet. Is the only solution to buy another ticket just for the other dog, or find a stranger/benefactor who will allow your dog to fly as their underseat baggage?
Pat
NickAbby
Waipahu, HI
Post #: 562
I don't claim to have the answers to the challenges of air travel in HI with pug(s), but even though many people have no choice but to fly them since they're here for jobs or the military, I just try to caution everyone about the potential concerns particular to our breed. This is why I asked if it was vacation or business and it also depends on where they're going to/coming from in terms of options of airlines.
I would buy another ticket to keep both in the cabin.
http://www.dogtravelc...­
Delta banned flat-nosed breeds in baggage to due a high death rate.
The June 05 Advertiser featured an article on a new law that will require airlines to report how many pets are killed, lost or injured on their flights:
http://www.thirdamend...­
Pets that travel in cargo holds (vs keeping small breeds in kennels under the seats) are exposed to extreme heat, cold, stress & loud noises from plane engines. The ASPCA estimates that 1% (roughly 20,000/yr) are killed or injured.
This is from Alaska Air's site:
Pets in the Cabin
Customers must be 18 years or older to travel with pet in the cabin. A customer traveling with a pet may not occupy an emergency exit row seat. The First Class cabin can accommodate a total of one small pet per flight, and the main cabin can accommodate a total of up to five small pets per flight. A customer may travel with a maximum of two carry-on kennels/containers in the main cabin, only when the adjacent seat is purchased by the same customer.

If you must fly with your pet, these tips are recommended:
1. Don’t feed them 4-6 hrs before departure.
2. Avoid busy travel times-your pet is more likely to be roughly handled. Book a nonstop flight.
3. It’s fine to find the flight you want through online methods, but when it’s time to make the flight reservation, call the airline. Only a certain number of pets are allowed on each flight, and speaking to an agent is probably the only way you’ll be able to reserve one of those spots for your pet on the flight you want. Be sure you’ve read the airline’s pet rules before you call. If you get the feeling that the agent you’re speaking to doesn’t know the rules very well, call back and speak to another agent.
4. If they have to travel cargo, on the top of the crate, write the name, address & phone number of the pet’s destination & who is picking them up. Tape a photo of your pet on top of the crate, with his name, in case he escapes.
5. Line the bottom of the crate with thick-padded bedding to absorb any impact from an accident.
6. Freeze your pet’s water so it won’t spill during loading but will melt by the time your pet is thirsty.
7. Tape a small pouch of dry food outside the crate.
8. Assure they are wearing ID & are microchipped.
9. Book a flight to Honolulu that arrives no later than 3pm-Quarantine closes at 4:30pm.
http://www.ifly.com/t...­
Vicki
user 64109772
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 2
Thanks everyone....we ended up flying aloha cargo with the 2 puggers and the cat.....they were shaken up....but good and alive.....we only flew from kona to honolulu.... but I gotta say that the airlines here have ridiculous rules for pugs....they were not helpful in any way.....including my vet who would not help at all. I booked my flight on mokuele knowing I would be right there for them...just to be farmed to Go.....who doesn't let pets over 15lbs fly...hawaiian was the same.....in the end aloha cargo lovable pet service did really good...they were kind and assuring...cause I thought I would pass out from the stress of the whole situation....sigh....next time I'm chartering a flight....again thanks everyone!!!!!