addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

San Diego Pug Club Message Board › My pug is having trouble walking up the stairs

My pug is having trouble walking up the stairs

Billie E.
user 9065909
San Diego, CA
Post #: 4
Hi everyone! I have a question... My 6 year old up Hemi ( almost 7) has trouble walking up the stairs. He is fine going down the stairs, walking around and jumping off furniture. He has been to the VCA vet numerous times and they say they don't see anything wrong and thought maybe he just pulled a muscle but that just doesn't seem right :/ . Has anyone experienced anything like this or does anyone have a great pug vet ? I've even seen on some threads a doggie chiropractor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Christy R.
user 10064293
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
This happened with my pug, Oscar, about the same age. Next he could no longer jump up on sofa, then he could not jump down, and later began falling on his back and front legs. Only found out what was going on after X-rays and then a MRI - herniated discs in his back and neck. Very expensive surgery! My suggestion carry him up and down stairs, and don't let him jump up or down from beds or furniture. I wish I had paid attention sooner. Of course this may or may not be your Pug's problem - ask your vet. Christy
Dan C.
Dan_In_SD
San Diego, CA
Post #: 29
It does sound like back pain, but it could just be a back strain or simply arthritis. Tramadol can be given to relieve the pain but you should just try to keep your pug from using stairs and jumping for awhile.
Jeannee
lilbugsd
San Diego, CA
Post #: 18
Our pug Daisy had similar issues (hard time jumping up but no problem getting down), but also started what I called a case of "slightly tipsy back legs." None of the vets we saw could give us a definitive answer, but most of them assumed it was a herniated disc and added that an MRI could possibly give us a better idea, but it wasn't guaranteed.

We were told to keep her movement to a minimum (we kept her downstairs, carried her when we had to but kept it to a minimum so as not to tweak her back, crated her for a portion of the day, etc), but we were also told that it could take months before she'd show any improvement.

I agree with everyone else about limiting Hemi's movement for awhile. It wouldn't hurt.
A former member
Post #: 1
My 7 year old pug recently had a physical exam and X-rays when I noticed she was having difficulty getting up from a lying position using her hind legs. We found she has minor hip dysplasia in her right hip and minor arthritis near the top of her tail. Her vet recommended glucosamine and gave me a Rx for Ibuprofen when needed. I've noticed she's less stiff since giving her glucosamine. I'd be willing to check out chiropractic care for her after doing some homework. Maybe X-rays would give you some peace of mind.
Christine L.
CrazyPugLady
Lakewood, CA
Post #: 33
I would recommend you get a tall floor/yoga cushion for soft landing off the couch we have one and that's the only way they go up and down. Pugs having hip-leg issues is common. Recommend you keep weight down(I don't know you're Puggies weight just a side note) consider a raw diet, if you can daily massages with arnica oil to help with pain and stiffness. Try to stay off any pain meds to hard on the kidneys. If it gets really bad hydrotherapy is an option! Good luck hope Hemi gets better smile
Christy R.
user 10064293
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
I forgot to mention that I love my vet - Dr. Oman at Govenor Animal Hospital. She is very caring and thorough. She referred Oscar to neurologists at Specialty Animal Hospital. If you take Hemi to see her tell her Oscar and i referred you - she knows us well. I hope you find the answer for Hemi . Christy
Billie E.
user 9065909
San Diego, CA
Post #: 5
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I decided to change vets ( we were going to VCA) I chose the vet that see's majority of pug rescue san diego because I figured they had a lot of experience with pugs. I saw Dr. Barbara Hyatt and she was great! She diagnosed Hemi as a "disc dog". The squishy doughnut part between his vertebrae was bulging up. he is now taking a anti inflammatory and is on doggie bed rest ( not to tough for a pug ;) ) He needs to be carried up and down the stairs for at least 4 weeks to help alleviate any pressure until the inflammation goes down. If the inflammation doesn't go down we may have to move on to predizone so fingers crossed! thank you all for your thoughts and experience!
Alison Jerry Ringo...
PugPark
Group Organizer
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 51
Oh, that is great news to have a diagnosis and a plan of action for Hemi! Wishing you well, little fellow!