addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 106
Per Sharon - I was at the Sterling Heights Petland location last night and there is a big sign on the door saying it has now closed. Any further questions/queries should be sent to the head office. The doors and windows were all covered with brown paper.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 107
Three down. Two to go!!!

Westland and Novi
A former member
Post #: 1
What about the one in Belleville? It's at Rawsonville Road and I-94. Their website claims they buy from local breeders - does anyone have any information on that? Also, what about other pet stores? I believe there is one in Westland in Ford Road, and another at Oakland Mall.
A former member
Post #: 46
Woohoo! :)
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 108
The Belleville store closed last year after 10 months of demonstrations. The Waterford one is closed. I am not sure when, but they had the "brown paper" up too. Love seeing that brown paper! I was really surprised to see the Sterling Heights one close as they have a lot of traffic in that plaza. Westland shouldn't last long, I am assuming since all the other stores are closing around them. Saving Novi for last.

We do plan to step up the demonstrations at Westland this spring. Christine will be leading these so keep a look out on the calendar. Plan to join in a couple hours ever other Saturday.
A former member
Post #: 1,976
That is awesome!!!! Great job! Was it the protests that did it ?

Great job!

Kari-
Paula
Xcaret
Petaluma, CA
Post #: 14
This is wonderful news! I thought it will take a lot longer to have this store closed but I am very pleased to hear such great news. Keep up the good work team!
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi....So glad the Petland in Sterling Hgts. Closed!!!! I wasn't aware that the one in Waterford Closed...when did that happen? I did stop by there last summer to check it out etc. Will be happy when Novi and Westland are gone. Also the pet shop in Oakland Mall in Troy!!!!!
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 113
Family of Pets has three locations (Fountain Park, Oakland Mall and Macomb Mall). I am sure Mary will want them to be next on our list!

I would like to focus on Petland to leverage the HSUS's work and assistance with the demonstrations. If we have good turn outs this spring, I would consider organizing some more demonstrations at the same time. It would be nice to have two demonstrations a month at a targeted location on each side of town.

If there is someone on the east side that would like to start demonstrations at Family of Pets, please let me know.

If there is someone that would like to start the Novi Peltand demonstrations this spring in parallel with the Westland (Christine is leading), please let me know. We are well stocked with signs and literature.

Leading involves committing 2-3 hours every other Saturday, bringing signs, literature (free from HSUS), bringing a list of alternatives, ensuring everyone is on public property, parked legally, bringing a camera/video, calling the police ahead of time, talking to the police if they should be called, talking to people who stop for questions. Not everyone needs to speak with the public. You could always write Letters to the Editor to let them know what you are doing and why. I could help with setting up the event on the calendar and notifying the media.

Katy
user 9051789
Utica, MI
Post #: 1
There are A LOT of REALLY bad pet stores out there. Why do you have to pick on the good ones? With the unemployment rate higher in Michigan than I've ever seen, why are you trying so frickin hard to make more innocent people loose the jobs they love. The animals at Petland Sterling Heights were happy, healthy, and very well taken care off by the wonderful caring staff. INCLUDING ME!!! But all you care about is the puppy mills that we DIDN"T get our dogs from!!! So, what, any store that sells puppies automatically gets them from mills? When you deal with larger volumes of dogs, unfortunately, some are going to get sick. NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT YOU DO!!!!!!!!!! That's just life.

The people I worked with there were wonderful, and we all treated ever animal like they were our own. Everyone of us that worked there did so because we loved caring for the animals. So next time you start protesting stores, think about all of the employees that YOU will be PUTTING ON THE STREETS!!!!!!!!! Think any of them will be able to find another job any time soon....NO...there are no jobs out there anymore. All you are succeeding in doing is making the economy even worse than it already is...so GOOD JOB