addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Paws-N-Claws Pet Supplies (Eastpointe Mi)

Paws-N-Claws Pet Supplies (Eastpointe Mi)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 810
Paws-n-Claws Pet Supplies
19100 E. 10 Mile
Eastpointe, MI 48021
586 771-1010

11/4/10

Dear Gloria and Vince Sanna,

I have been researching your business operations over this past year I am deeply concerned about the out-of-state commercial breeders you are working with.

This is what Puppy Mill Awareness (PMA) is asking of Southeast Michigan pet stores including Paws N Claws:

• Agree to no longer sell animals acquired from breeders in their store(s) or on the Internet.
• The only dogs transferred, sold or retailed shall be "rescued" dogs coming from shelters or 501(c)(3) rescue groups.
• Agree to make these changes in every other business in which the store may have an interest, either currently or in the future.

In exchange for the above commitment, PMA will assist stores by doing the following:
• Puppy Mill Awareness will agree to not hold peaceful demonstrations at the store(s).
• Puppy Mill Awareness agrees to help promote the store. Such promotion may include: sending out a press release, a feature on the Puppy Mill Awareness Facebook, and/or an email publication to our members;
• The Humane Society of the United States will provide stores that offer rescued dogs with a "Pet Friendly Pet Store " seal to display in the store and put the store on their website.
• Puppy Mill Awareness will help facilitate relationships with the rescue groups and shelters, through which stores may acquire rescued animals to offer for adoption.
You can reach me at leroybrown01@yahoo.com.

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup
Southeast Michigan
734-828-1400
http://www.meetup.com...­

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 814
We provided the Puppy Friendly Pet Store Pledge Form to the store last year (November 2009). We also called the store several times asking them to stop selling puppies.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 815
2010 Holiday Round-A-Bout Schedule
Paws-n-Claws Pet Supplies
19100 E. 10 Mile , Eastpointe

1. Friday, Nov 26th 5- 7 p.m.
2. Saturday, Nov 27th, 12 - 3 p.m.
3. Sunday, Nov 28th, 12 - 3 p.m.
4. Saturday, Dec 4th, 12 - 3 p.m.
5. Sunday, Dec 5th, 12 - 3 p.m

Please join us in Eastpointe holiday rallies. You can RSVP on our calendar.
http://www.meetup.com...­

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 835
Cathy and I held a pilot demo at Paws N Claws in Eastpointe tonight. The owner tried to tell us banners were not allowed in the city. I told him the cops just went by and waved, so I guess they are ok with ours. I was wondering when he would show up. We were there an hour! Guess he didn’t want to discuss the situation. I sure wish he would change his mind about selling dogs. Good thing the Dublin Bar is next door and friendly. Drinks! Just as we packed up our gear a women stopped to tell me that she stopped shopping there 6 months ago…rude attitudes. Then she said she works with 400 women up the road was going to spread the word. So look what two people with two signs and a banner can do! Can’t wait for the real rally on Friday. Please join us.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 859
Here is a summary of our Round-A-About Rallies so far..

12/5/10
This store had very few customers this weekend. We were successful at turning them away. One gentlemen’s wife had asked him to stop at the store to see if they had a Boston Terrier available yet. We directed him to a local purebred group, petfinder and the shelter. We have not observed any pups leave the store. It has come to my attention that the owner has a bad reputation in the neighborhood. Neighbors on all sides have had unpleasant experiences with the owner. Customers freely tell us that the owner will put himself out of business with his lack of customer service and high prices. I thought it was odd that he harassed some guy who pulled into his parking lot. He apparently was not allowed to come back? Vince stated I knew him, but it was likely a newly informed customer who was upset and confronted him. Vince followed him to the other side of the parking lot. We decided to come back around Christmas.

We put up another banner today.

One woman was so excited about us being there she grabbed me and asked if she could donate. She ended up bringing us hot coffees and thanking us over and over. She was upset when she saw new kennels being installed this summer.

Many locals seem to know the store is in trouble –debt. I wonder if they are counting on holiday puppy sales. Cathy and I are betting they are…so we will be coming back around Christmas.

12/4/10
I'm sure you have already heard, but I was really happy with yesterday's rally at Paws n Claws. Many people that appeared to be going to the pet store read our signs and then turned around and left (most of these people had a dog in their car.) Many people stopping and thanking us and telling us they will never shop there again. One woman in particular said she had been shopping there for years and had no idea. I told her where they got their puppies and she said "say no more." She will never shop there again. Another woman said she was thinking about getting a puppy there, but ended up adopting from a rescue. The best was when one woman pretty much did a u-turn on 9 mile so she could come talk to us and said as soon as they started selling puppies, she stopped shopping there. She was kind of emotional and said she couldn't thank us enough.

12/4/10
Alot of people stopped to ask if it is true they get their puppies from puppymills, we told them yes they do, they told us they would never shop there again. Other people told us they stop shopping there because the owner is very mean. others told us they support our cause and thanked us for standing in the cold to educate the public.

11/28/10
Educated alot more people. Others stopped to tell us they are glad we are trying to stop the sale of puppies. Others stopped concerned they might go out of business, we assured them we just want them to stop selling puppies and sponsor adoption days.

11/27/10
Today’s rally at Paws N Claws was even more entertaining. The owners moved two vans and a car between us and the store. Customers could still see us, now on both sides of the entrance. Notice their new puppy sign and arrow on the van. Strategic marketing on their part *snicker* Just incase people didn’t see their 10 other puppy sale signs. Most people were looking at our signs. He also took photos of our banners. For some reason he thinks the banner ordinance applies to picketing activities. The cops have not bothered us at all. We had some great locals join us. Thanks Shannon, Sharon and Pam! We can now park at Dublins!! They told us to warm up in side if we want to – bring coffee in if you like.

11/26/10
The Paws N Claws rally last night went rather well. The owner came out again to move his car between us and the store so customers would not see us. They could see us. It will be very easy to boycott this store…his customers are not loyal. Many have told us they are rude to them. Dublin gave us a free beer chip!!!

11/24/10 Pilot Rally
Cathy and I set up shop for an hour to see if we could talk to the owner. He did come by as we were leaving to tell us that we could not use banners. I guess the cop that drove by and waved was not aware of any banner ordinance that applies to picketing.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 860
Please join us for our next set of holiday rallies:

1. Wednesday, Dec 22nd, 5 - 7 p.m.
2. Thursday, Dec 23rd, 5-7 p.m.
3. Friday, Dec 24th 12-3 p.m.
4. Tuesday, Dec 28th 5-7 p.m.
5. Wednesday, Dec 29th, 5-7 p.m.
6. Thursday, Dec 30th, 5-7 p.m.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 861
Meet one of the Paws N Claw’s Maltese puppies. This pup traveled 743 miles all the way from Arkansas in June 2010. The Pet Store provided this paperwork to the potential customer. Apparently they are not hiding this information. They also tell customers they work with local breeders, however these local breeders are not USDA licensed.

Jerry Kirby
J&J Kennel
2245 C R 246
KNOBEL, AR 72435

Shipping Record

This Maltese like many other out-of-state pups came in illegally. The MDA issued this letter stating this store has repeatedly violated the law.

This store also works with puppy brokers who work with puppy millers (Patrick Fulton and Mid America). Does this store inspect their breeders before buying from them? Or are they just using some online system and buying from breeders with a surplus? Are these special orders for customers? Are they “ordering up” puppies like merchandise?

At one point Jerry Kirby had over 70 adult dogs in his kennel. This is not a mom-a-pop operation. He is a commercial breeder licensed by the USDA. He has been cited for violations regarding outdoor housing and primary enclosures during an inspection.

USDA Inspection Report
http://acissearch.aph...­

Check out the Pet Shop Puppies Report showing that this breeder also works with Petland and has sold sick dogs.
http://acissearch.aph...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 862
Dear Vince,

We did our homework. Are you still going to sell puppies?
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 863
Here are more breeders we have investigated. You can find the shipping records here and inspection reports posted to our files.

Julie Fletcher
340 Klee Ave
Triplett, MO 65286-2049
(660) 634-2313

Patrick Fulton
603 SOUTH BROADWAY
ALDEN, MN 56009

DOLORES GROGAN
11226 S. HIGHWAY 265
PRAIRIE GROVE, AR 72753

Jerry Kirby
2245 C R 246
KNOBEL, AR 72435

MID-AMERICA PET BROKER, L L C
11474 Hammer Road
Neosho, MO 64850"

SHEILA GILBERT
10768 GALA ROCK ROAD
DARDANELLE, AR 72834
Norma VanDusen
1496 B, River Rd
LAVACA, AR 72941

LINDA HEINEN
WAYNE HEINEN
1441 96TH RD.
GOFF, KS 66428

B&T Distributions
564 EAST ROAD
GOODMAN, MO 64843"

DENNIS WALLES
JUDY WALLES
1355 CAMPCLARK HILL
GALENA, MO 65656

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 882
12-26-10

Hello Vince,

Would you consider holding adoption events instead of selling puppies? Not only would you be helping the homeless animals, you would look like a good citizen in the community and attract customers. If you were to switch over to adoptions only, we would assist you in getting media attention and promote your business.

Many of your customers are complaining your prices are too high so they stopped shopping at your store. Others have said you are just simply rude and did not care for your customer service. Local neighbors seem to think you are not cooperative either.

I think good people make bad decisions and you may have felt that selling puppies would help turn your business around. Unfortunately, it is not the way to go as people are learning more about more about cruelty in the pet trade.

Pam Sordyl