addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › NARROW ESCAPE FOR 94 PUPPIES IN ANOTHER HUNTE TRUCK FIRE

NARROW ESCAPE FOR 94 PUPPIES IN ANOTHER HUNTE TRUCK FIRE

A former member
Post #: 1,618
On November 27, 2006, a Hunte Corporation truck delivering puppies to the Town & Country Petland in Columbus, Ohio, caught fire, endangering the lives of 94 puppies on board. According to the Whitehall Fire Department, this was an electrical fire, not due to human error.

A witness reports that the puppies were "screaming," but that Hunte and Petland employees managed to get some of the puppies out of the hot, smoke-filled truck before the fire department arrived to extinguish the fire and remove the remaining puppies.

This was the SECOND fire within 3 months for the Hunte Corporation, a puppy broker which delivers puppies to Petland and other pet stores around the country. In the previous fire, in August of 2006, which made national news, all 60 puppies aboard suffocated to death (see below). Hunte's website says its puppies are "transported in comfort" in "special climate-controlled, air-cushioned vehicles." These vehicles apparently do not all have functioning smoke detectors, however. The Whitehall Fire Department reported that on November 27, the "detector did not alert occupants."

To read the full story , click on picture :
Diane T.
user 8376621
Clinton Township, MI
Post #: 6
When i saw this post I was absolutely sickened. I work in the trucking industry & have done so for over 8 years. I can tell you that by the looks of the picture the trailer used to carry these animals is called "reefer" a trailer with a refrigerator. There trailers are SOLID METAL boxes with NO air holes or circulation. The reefer trailer can be used to maintain a certain temperature but can also be ran like a regular trailer with no temp control.

There are NO air cushions on the inside nor is there fire alarms. When they say "air" they mean the air system suspension. Believe me in my 9 1/2yrs of being in trucking I have spent a total of 2 hrs in a semi truck, THEY ARE NOT COMFORTABLE. These babies are probably being thrown around during the drive.
The "air suspension" is what allows the trailer to be raised for loading & lowered for unloading. Nothing more.

I cannot believe that the FMCSA would stand for this. Drivers are ticketed in the $$hundreds$$ for simple things like light bulbs or low tire pressure, they are VERY VERY STRICT. I cannot believe that this is happening. Animals can only be transported in open style trailers. Many of us have seen these livestock trailers. There is no way in hell the FMCSA would approve dogs being transported in a SOLID METAL TRAILER. I doubt it. So I took the liberty today of going through the automated system & filing a complaint also I reviewed & obtained all their Department of Trans info.
They have 27 trucks, 29 drivers & oddly only have 1 accident listed in the safety history. You can actually get alot of info from the dot like insurance agent, exact yard or loading locations etc.

Below is the FMCSA complaint line. If anyone has the time please call them & let them know how you feel about the transport of live animals in inadequate equipment. Though I would like to completely ban the transport of animals, unfortunately this country is ruled by greed. I will keep looking into this & see what I can come up with. If anyone is interested in any info in Hunte please post on here & I will guide you to how anyone can research them

1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238)
Hunte Delivery System Goodman, MO DOT# 778506 MC# 348351
A former member
Post #: 1,635
We have a Petland in our community....

They go through Hunte Corp .
Would it be possible to find out a delivery date that their puppies will arrive on ?
We want to catch them unloading them.....
Diane T.
user 8376621
Clinton Township, MI
Post #: 7
Through the FMCSA it is not possible but I could probably get the info out of one of their dispatchers. Which location are you looking for?
What else could we do? I have been asking the drivers I work with to watch for their trucks at the truck stops. I told them if they see them to try to get pictures & if it can be proved inhumane to call the local police.

I just can not believe that the govt would allow animals to be transported in closed conditions. I will try to get the dispatch office info & call them to check on some deliveries. Any other idea's? We need to stop these people. 27 trucks sounds like alot but in the trucking business it is not, maybe we can protest?

I also noticed in the FMCSA system that they change their insurance alot & that they are only insured for $5000. Maybe I can contact their agent & see what kind of info I can get. I am on it & will work on it for sure.
A former member
Post #: 1,640
You are awesome !!!!

This is the part that might make it impossible......

The Petland that were protesting is located in Roseville California .

Here is their web site .

And here is their address and info.

9400 Fairway Dr. Ste 150
Roseville, CA 95678
Phone 916-791-PETS (7387)
Fax 916-791-7440

While we were out protesting last weekend a truck pulled up that said Barney's Pets on the drivers side door ......
They went to Petland , the truck was medium sized (looked like mini 18 wheeler), California plates, NO windows ....
Has anyone ever heard of them ?
I tried doing a Google search and found nothing ?

Thanks for your help !
Kari-
Diane T.
user 8376621
Clinton Township, MI
Post #: 8
Every commercial truck has to be registered under the FMCSA. Even if small. With that said, I found them on the FMCSA. Their legal name is Pet Partners Inc & d/b/a is Barney's. They are listed out of Corona, CA & started operating in 2007. They only have 3 trucks listed. Here is their info from the FMCSA:
Entity Type: Carrier
Legal Name: PET PARTNERS INC
DBA Name: BARNEY'S PET PRODUCTS
Physical Address: 450 N SHERIDAN ST
CORONA, CA 92880
Phone: (909) 591-4200
Mailing Address: 450 N SHERIDAN ST CORONA, CA 92880
USDOT Number: 1618331 Power Units: 3 Drivers: 3
MCS-150 Form Date: 03/14/2007 MCS-150 Mileage (Year): 23,000 (2007)

By the looks of their profile, they only operate in CA. Because they only operate in CA i can't find out any insurance info or yard info. I dont know the CA laws but most states have some sort of commercial vehicle division & are able to provide you more info. If you cant find such agency let me know, i will try to find it for you. If you want want to research a truck company here is the link. http://www.safersys.o...­
A former member
Post #: 1,689
OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!!!

This is HUGE !!!!!!!!!!

That truck went to Petland while we were protesting !!!!!!!!! We tried researching them when we got home and found nothing ! The puppies drove right past us !!!! Just thinking about that makes me sad .......

Thank you so much for this info. ! This will help us so much .

Thank you again,

Kari-
Diane T.
user 8376621
Clinton Township, MI
Post #: 9
No Problem. If you need anything just shout.

A suggestion: Next time you see these trucks & there is no windows or ventalation, take pictures. You can report them to the police or the FMCSA.
GOOD LUCK
A former member
Post #: 1,732
Will do ! Thank you again .

We have another protest there tomorrow and Sunday so maybe we will catch them .
A former member
Post #: 2,029
Okay, the "Barney's Pets truck is their small animal delivery truck such as the rabbits/guinea pigs/rats/mice/birds/etc.
I asked the manager of the store.