addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Petland Novi (Exposed)

Petland Novi (Exposed)

A former member
Post #: 14
That is terrible and sad to have a puppy die and expose your other dog and have to worry about him...not to mention the financial burden! I hope they get involved in the HSUS lawsuit.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 271
Delivered week of 10/26

Dan Jones
Twelve Oaks, Mall Manager
Attention: Management Office
27500 Novi Road
Novi, MI 48377

Dear Mr. Jones,

Thank you for taking the time to initially discuss the Petland situation. Per our phone conversation, I am providing several documents for your immediate review.

I hope you see the sense of urgency around this matter. Every day the Petland store stays open, more sick dogs are sold and families are left crying at the vet office.

This is what Puppy Mill Awareness is asking of Southeast Michigan pet stores including the Petland Novi:

• Agree to no longer sell animals acquired from breeders in their store(s) or on the Internet.
• The only dogs transferred, sold or retailed shall be "rescued" dogs coming from government shelters or 501(c)(3) rescue groups.
• Agree to make these changes in every other business in which the store may have an interest, either currently or in the future.

In exchange for the above commitment, PMA will assist stores by doing the following:

• Puppy Mill Awareness will agree to no longer hold peaceful demonstrations at the store(s).
• Puppy Mill Awareness agrees to help promote the store. Such promotion may include: sending out a press release, a feature on the Puppy Mill Awareness Facebook, and/or an email blast to our members;
• The Humane Society of the United States will provide stores that offer rescued dogs with a "Pet Friendly Pet Store " seal to display in the store and put the store on their website.
• Puppy Mill Awareness will help facilitate relationships with the rescue groups and shelters, through which stores may acquire rescued animals to offer for adoption.

Attachments:

1) Why we are protesting Petland. This document highlights three cases clearly showing that Petland Novi is working with large commercial breeding operations. The Royale Kennel in Kansas had over 773 breeding dogs!! That is certainly a puppy mill.

2) Cases (see attachment pages 1-6). This document lists 37 cases (healthy and sick) reported to the PetShopPuppies.org. If you use the link in the footer, you can further see the breeder information. Most all breeders have many other cases of sick dogs. Notice they are in the puppy mill belt of the Midwest (Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska…). The majority of the breeders listed are from Missouri which is the “Puppy Mill Capital” of the United States with over 15,000 breeders!

3) Cruelty Flyer and Petland Lawsuit Flyer. We provide these to the public who stop at our rallies.

4) Property Lines – we have collected the zoning information (public easements) from the city.

We will be launching our Petland Novi campaign upon the Grand Opening. We hope you further research Petland’s business operations and help put a stop the pipeline to the mills. Once the Novi Community discovers what is truly going on in your mall, they will certainly object.

I plan to keep in touch and would like to keep the communication open. We are also communicating with the city offices and Police Department. Our rallies are always peaceful and we will continue to do so in Novi.

You can reach me at ____

Leroy Brown
Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup
Southeast Michigan
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 281
Dan Jones met with me and another member of our group this week. He was extremely professional and respectful to the situation. We discussed puppy mills and Petland's history with them. We know this store has been exposed before. The Detroit Free Press did an article on them in 2006 (can anyone find it?), so this isn't new to the mall. However, since they are not doing anything illegal, Taubman's isnt' sure what they can do and asked us to work with Randy Horowitz, the new Owner.

Randy used to work at this location for a couple years. Maybe he owned it then, it wasn't clear. He then moved to Petland Headquarters and is now back running this place. So why did Bob Thorn leave? Maybe he was getting in trouble with Animal Control, the MDA, the mall? Maybe there were many complaints coming in and he decided to get out of the pet trade business? I would be interested in knowing more. So corporate has sent one of their own to keep this location going. They probably financed the remodel.

I am looking forward to more meetings with Taubman's.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 282
Randy Horowitz
Petland Owner
Twelve Oaks Mall
27200 Novi Rd. Unit 106
Novi, MI 48377
248-449-7406

Dear Mr. Horowitz,

As you know, Channel 7 ran another story on your store and we see that you are now open for business selling puppies again. The Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup finds your business practices unacceptable for Novi and any other city in Michigan.

My group had a few opinions regarding your comments provided to Heather Catallo that I would like to share with you:

“The new owner of Novi Petland says that he does not buy dogs from sub-standard breeders, and that all of his animals are checked by vets before they’re sold. His store is now back open, and he says he’s happy to sit down with any of his customers who have concerns.”

BIG DEAL!!!! Alllll the puppies at all of the Petland stores are checked by vets but what difference does that make??? They (the vets) are paid to send them through with flying colors. I think that something ought to be done with the vets who are treating these puppies and sign their name stating that they find them to be healthy and fit when they are NOT healthy AT ALLLLL!!!!!!! This makes me sooooo mad! When any vet signs his or her name on a health certificate for these puppies they are making false statements and that is illegal and something needs to be done with them.

Watch the You Tube info clip on the HUNTE CORP. and it will show you that the puppies are SUPPOSE to be checked before they leave their facility and the vets are NOT even there to check them. One of the workers checks the puppies out and all they do it look at their face and spin them around and look at their butt and say that they are fine????? NO WAY!!!!!!

There is no other place for any store to be getting so many different breeds of puppies unless they came from mass producers and those as you know are the mills. NO reputable breed is going to sell their litters to any pet store.

Well, we have a lot of mad dog lovers and many of them are coming forward and reporting more sick dogs to PetShopPuppies.org and the HSUS. Although Heather may be finished with her stories for now, we don’t plan to let this issue go unresolved.

This is what Puppy Mill Awareness is asking of Southeast Michigan pet stores including your store:
• Agree to no longer sell animals acquired from breeders in your store or on the Internet.
• The only dogs transferred, sold or retailed shall be "rescued" dogs coming from government shelters or 501(c)(3) rescue groups.
• Agree to make these changes in every other business in which your store may have an interest, either currently or in the future.

In exchange for the above commitment, PMA will assist stores by doing the following:
• Puppy Mill Awareness will agree to no longer hold peaceful demonstrations at the store.
• Puppy Mill Awareness agrees to help promote the store. Such promotion may include: sending out a press release, a feature on the Puppy Mill Awareness Facebook, and/or an email blast to our members;
• The Humane Society of the United States will provide stores that offer rescued dogs with a "Pet Friendly Pet Store" seal to display in the store and put the store on their website.
• Puppy Mill Awareness will help facilitate relationships with the rescue groups and shelters, through which stores may acquire rescued animals to offer for adoption.
We have documented proof that your store acquires dogs from mass-breeding facilities and is no longer providing breeder information. Why is that? I would want to know where my next family member came from!

Breed: Shih Tzu Yorkshire Terrier
Date Purchased: 6/1/2009
Petshop: Petland #245 AKA Novi Pets +
Details: Treated for URI while in pet store; giardia when purchased, requiring hospitalization for 3 days and puppy still being force fed by owner. Update 6/17/09: Kennel Cough and Coccidia
Breeder Name: Habbinga, Pam +
DBA: Habbinga Kennels
Address: 3820 320 St, Boyden, IA 51234
Adult Dogs Count: 112

This looks like a puppy mill to me. 112 dogs is a lot of breeding dogs.

We will be launching our Petland Novi campaign this weekend.

You can reach me at
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 283
Here is Heather Catallo's second story on this store! Thank you Heather.

More Allegations of Problems with New Pets

http://www.wxyz.com/n...­

(WXYZ) - When you spend hundreds or sometimes thousands of dollars on a pet, you expect your new addition to the family to be healthy. The Action News Investigators have new information about another sick dog that was sold at a local pet store.

Petland says they only buy dogs from USDA licensed breeders. But critics say, that’s not a guarantee that the dog isn’t from a so-called puppy mill. And they want Petland to do better than that.

First it was Rocky – the 3-month-old English bulldog who was sold with kennel cough.

[Sarah Casteel/Puppy Died] “It was just hard to look at him and say, 'I’m sorry buddy, couldn’t help ya. I tried.' ”

After three weeks of desperate attempts to save the puppy, Rocky had to be put down.

[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] “She’s real, real skittish.”

Now, it’s Laci.

[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] “This is what she’s on now, which is people medicine.”

Patti Johnson says she, too, ended up buying a dog with kennel cough.

[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] “I want their license taken away for selling sick puppies.”

Both Laci and Rocky were purchased at the Novi Petland store in September. And their owners say the dogs were sick when they bought them.

[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] “She had a runny nose, and she had a little bit of a cough, but they told us she had a cold, and she was on medicine.”

After she purchased Laci, Patti took the puppy to the same vets who had been checking her while she was at the pet store.

[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] “I said something about her having a cold, and the vet said, 'Oh, no no no! She had kennel cough.' ”

Patti says she spent the next month taking Laci to the vet several times a week.

[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] “She would cough to the point where she got sick."
HC: "Throwing up?"
[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] "Throwing up. She would gag. That’s not a healthy puppy.”

Patti says they had to do chest x-rays, blood work, and the little cocker spaniel was put on daily breathing treatments for bronchitis.

[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] “I cried a lot of tears..”

Patti says she tried calling Petland to complain that she paid $488 for a sick dog, but no one answered because the store inside 12 Oaks Mall has been closed for remodeling since October 1st.

[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] “I’ve gone over there three or four times. The doors are locked, you can’t get in.”

That’s the same thing we found the last time we wanted to talk to Petland managers last month.

We didn’t get any answers on camera at the time, but we have since learned that people have reported to the Humane Society of the United States that they also got sick dogs from the Novi Petland.

And the Novi store isn’t the only Petland location that’s dealing with consumer complaints.

The Westland franchise store, which is operated by a different owner, has been in the dog house with a local group called the Puppy Mill Awareness Meet-Up.

[Protestor] “They’re selling sick dogs from puppy mills.”

The protestors want people to boycott both local stores because of this, the class action lawsuit that customers have filed against Petland. The current version of the lawsuit uses information from a Humane Society of the United States investigation. The HSUS claims the national chain gets many of its dogs from puppy mills, mass breeders often accused of sacrificing the health of dogs for profit.
The HSUS says earlier this year, it discovered documentation of the Novi store receiving dogs from alleged puppy mills that have been cited for Animal Welfare Act violations.

[Renee Miller/Puppy Mill Awareness Meet Up] “This is no way to treat man’s best friend.”

In fact, the local protestors just uncovered this state of Missouri health certificate that shows Petland Novi received six dogs in August from a breeder who has been cited by the USDA for having unsafe electric fencing for dogs. In the past, the USDA cited that same breeder for selling puppies to pet stores before they’re 8-weeks-old, which increases their chances of illness.

The new owner of Novi Petland says that he does not buy dogs from sub-standard breeders, and that all of his animals are checked by vets before they’re sold. His store is now back open, and he says he’s happy to sit down with any of his customers who have concerns.

[Renee Miller/Puppy Mill Awareness Meet Up] “We would like to see them just sell animal supplies, and just be a regular pet store. So we’re working really hard to have Petland go humane.”

Until they do, the activists want families to visit places like the Humane Society of Huron Valley to adopt a homeless pet instead of shelling out thousands of dollars at pet stores for dogs who might not be healthy.

As for Laci, Patti is nursing her back to good health. So far the Petland warranty has paid for most of the puppy’s medical bills. But it’s Patti’s peace of mind that will take the longest to recover.

[Patti Johnson/Bought Sick Dog] “What I really want is an apology from them, and I want them closed for selling sickly puppies.”

Petland’s national spokeswoman says that she doesn’t think their side of this story is being fairly represented. But several attempts have been made to talk to the owners of both of the local Petland stores. They have refused to do an on-camera interview with The Investigators
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 284
This is from a former Sterling Heights Petland employee:

I have read some of the posts on the site. Saw the news
tonight about Petland Novi. I used to work at the Sterling
Heights one. At first I thought it was fun- but then I saw how
the business worked and it wasn't right. I continued working
there for the money as I have a family. The more I saw it hurt
me to go in. I did research on puppymills and it made me
sick. I knew that a majority of the dogs had probably come
from one. I did buy a dog from the store my husband was mad
because of the cost. I paid 4 times more than the owners had.
I saw it as rescuing her. A few months after I quit, it became
harder and harder to go in and sell animals. It was all about
the money made on those animals. The shelter dogs in there
were older puppies that didn't sell right away.
As a worker I wasn't treated well. I did my best to care for
the animals, but we were told to sell, sell. sell. Once I was
repremanded for washing poop off a kitten. I was told that
wasn't my job, I was to be on the floor. I just felt bad for
the sick kitten. When I went back a few months after
quitting, the condition of the store had gone down. I was glad
that I didn't have to work there, but felt bad for the animals
that were. I was so happy to see that the store has since
closed and that their Waterford store had closed. When ever I
hear that someone is looking for a pet, I strongly suggest that
they do their research and go through a breeder or adopt.
Good Luck
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 285
We've had a number of calls from new MI complainants since the story aired! Thanks, Leroy.

Kathleen Summers
Manager, Puppy Mills Campaign
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 286
For all the writers in our group, please write a letter to the editor

Observer & Eccentric Newspapers
Cal Stone
cstone@ganette.com
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 287
Michigan Department of Agriculture
Lansing Michigan

Special Report
Firm Name: Petland
Street: 272000 Novi Road
City: Novi

Complaint:

On Friday, July 14, 2006, I received a call from Karen Scott of Fenton. She read a recent article in the Detroit Free Press regarding Metro Detroit Pet Stores selling puppy mill dogs and noted that the complaints should be directed to the MDA. She wishes to file a complaint. Karen noted that she purchased a dog from Petland in November 23, 2003. Upon purchase, she noted that the dog was coughing. Per the Health Certificate, the dog had just been examined by a veterinarian and found to be free of communicable diseases on November 20, 2003. She went to the Pet Store veterinarian (Vet Select Animal Hospital/Dr. Kristy Sharpen) as was directed in her contract, where the dog was treated for kennel cough and lungworms. However the dog was not improving. She took the dog to her personal veterinarian for treatment. The pet store would cover medical costs as long as she worked with the Pet Store veterinarian. She notes that several months later the dog was finally healthy. She is frustrated that the store sold an ill dog and over the costs she had to pay for medical care.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 288
Michigan Department of Agriculture
Lansing Michigan

Special Report
Firm Name: Petland
Street: 272000 Novi Road
City: Novi

Complaint:

On Tuesday 5/22/06 at 1:00PM I investigated the complaint of overcrowding and poor sanitation at Petland of Novi in the Twelve Oaks Mall. My contact was Kim DeLibero, Store Manager. I completed an inspection report for the facility including the condition of the cats and rabbits. I also filled out a special report on the condition of the dogs in two locations, the showroom and an isolation area in the back room. Details follow in written report.

1) Showroom Floor – Due to an unplanned increase in the number of puppies shipped there were some arguable crowding such as four pups in a 5 square foot cage and some larger puppies in small cages. The manager agreed the shift the dogs in question to larger spaces. Sanitation was adequate.
2) Isolation Room – Seven dogs were currently in isolation due to cough. Six were crowded with two to a 4 square foot cage. Two cages had been vacated before I arrived and the crowded dogs were be moved into those spaces. I counseled the manager on creating some flexibility in the isolation room with portable cages to avoid overcrowding in the future. Sanitation was found to be substandard in the isolation area. The manager noted the problem and planned to rectify the issue.

Bill Frank

Dr. Frank

Per our conversation, thank you for taking the following work assignment regarding Petland Novi in Oakland County – Complaint 10003674

Five previous complaints: 10001981 02/20/04, 100002419 11/16/04, 10002758 03/08/05, 10003263 10/25/05, and 10003503 02/14/06.

She had been at the Pet Store 4 days in a row 5/2, 5/3 and 5/4 and 5/5/2006. She thought that there were too many puppies in the cages and that the cages were not very clean. She has a friend who worked there and they were told that their main job was to sell puppies not worry about cleaning out cages.

Michelle Finateri

Michele on Friday, May 5, 2006 I received a complaint on Petland in 12 Oaks Mall. The biggest complaint was too many puppies in one cage and cleanliness issue. The staff is urged to just sell puppies and not worry about cleaning up cages. When crates of new puppies are received the puppies are in really rough shape, no food or water.[/b] Do you want me to go ahead and do a complaint?

Cindy Slocum