addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

RailsMN -- Rails for Beginners Message Board › Installing Ruby on Rails

Installing Ruby on Rails

Jason H.
Jason_Hsu
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 23
Let's post our way of installing Ruby on Rails in this thread so that we don't all have to reinvent the wheel.

I prefer to install Ruby on Rails on a virtual hard drive (using VirtualBox) than on a physical hard drive. A virtual hard drive allows me to take snapshots. If I mess things up, I can go back to a previous snapshot rather than have to troubleshoot or reinstall everything all over again. As a result, VirtualBox allows me to change my setup willy-nilly.

In my first attempt to learn Ruby on Rails, I installed mainly from apt-get. I understand now that RVM is the preferred way, as it allows you to have multiple versions of Ruby/Rails installed simultaneously, which is important if you have to work on multiple Ruby on Rails projects that were created in different versions.

I'm currently in the process of installing Ruby on Rails in SolusOS, a Linux distro derived from Debian Squeeze. I'm using the procedure at http://elinux.org/RPi...­ . (Keep in mind that Raspberry Pi comes with Debian Squeeze. The more you deviate from this setup, the more likely you are to have problems.) I tried to follow this procedure using Linux distros based on Debian Wheezy, but I had a problem with dependency hell. (It kept asking for a specific version of a package that wasn't available. The requirement was so rigid that no older or newer packages would qualify.)

UPDATE 1: I was able to install Ruby and Rails using the procedure for installing RoR on Raspberry Pi. However, I haven't been able to get JavaScript Runtime to work yet. (This is necessary for the simple RoR project at the end of the page.)

UPDATE 2: EVERY time you open a Bash window, you MUST enter the command "source ~/.rvm/scripts/rvm", or Rails will not work. To automate the process, add that command to the ~/.bashrc file.

UPDATE 3: When you enter the school app, you MUST have the JavaScript runtime, or the "rails g scaffold Pupil name:string form:string" will not work. The procedure that the author of the Raspberry Pi page used is specific to the Raspberry Pi. If you're using a normal computer, you need to go to the Gemfile in the school directory and add the commands 'gem "therubyracer"' and 'gem "execjs"' to this file. When you do this, the "rails g scaffold" command will work.
A former member
Post #: 1
For Windows and Mac you could use RailsInstaller

I have used it to setup Rails on my Windows systems. Very easy and has worked perfectly for me.

Derek R.
derekrockwell
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
To the point of Virtual Machines, I definitely recommend checkout out Vagrant. There are a lot of 'recipes' you may download in a vagrant file to establish a baseline development instance and use that remotely. Pretty cool stuff.
A former member
Post #: 27
To the point of Virtual Machines, I definitely recommend checkout out Vagrant. There are a lot of 'recipes' you may download in a vagrant file to establish a baseline development instance and use that remotely. Pretty cool stuff.

Just to clarify, you recommend Vagrant to make spinning up virtual machines a walk in the park. To configure those virtual machines automatically with recipes you recommend using chef ;)
Ron K
user 9486055
South Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
XAMPP + Ruby for desired OS

It's too bad nobody has added Ruby to XAMPP base install.

A former member
Post #: 30
Ron, if you google ruby xampp you will bump into MANY tutorials on how to combine the two. However, you don't need xampp, truly. Rails comes with its own web server, webbrick, and its own database, SQLite. This is more than enough to get a dev app going until your comfortable enough getting a more complicated environment going.
Ron K
user 9486055
South Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 2
J, thanks, already been there done that, and everything has been working fine for weeks.

Just looking to increase the easy factor to the next level...
Derek R.
derekrockwell
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 6

Just to clarify, you recommend Vagrant to make spinning up virtual machines a walk in the park. To configure those virtual machines automatically with recipes you recommend using chef ;)

True! Thanks for the clarification :).