addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Austin Trail Running Message Board › Beginner Trail Runner Question?

Beginner Trail Runner Question?

Larry S.
user 42746242
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Best place in Austin to learn about and get fitted with the best trail running shoe?

Thanks
Larru
A former member
Post #: 13
Best place in Austin to learn about and get fitted with the best trail running shoe?

Thanks
Larru

Best place I have found to get fitted for a shoe is REI at 360/183. I have been to the one downtown and found that the customer service was less than average, almost nonexistent.

One of the reasons I like REI is that I am a member and 100% satisfaction guaranteed. I have taken back two pair that had been used with no questions asked. While there is no perfect fit with trail shoes, you at least get a chance to make up for a bad fit, two, or how many ever it takes to find the right one.

Having said that, there are limitations to getting fitted by anyone, especially for trail shoes. Questions to ask yourself.

1. What surfaces will I be running on?
A muddy or damp soil will require different shoes than hard rock or packed dirt, most of what we have around here. If you are running rock or a lot of debris is on the trail then you'll need a thick rock-guard on the front.

You may also want a stiff shank to avoid torsion of the foot...leading to twisted ankle or nasty spill.

2. How often will you run trail?
If you are running Town Lake as trail then you certainly don't need something meant for hardcore trails, i.e. like something Salomon makes. I found that a pair of Asics Kahana's work great for transition from TL to greenbelt.

3. Feel the ground, nimble, or extreme protection?
The Cascadia 7's are a nimble shoe that seems like floating on air...trade-off is that while nimble you can still feel the rocks. The Montrail Masochist has very aggressive tread pattern and has great protection all the way around, trade-off heavier and not as nimble. If I am tearing it up on the trail, I don't want nimble, I want something that will protection.

4. Type of pronator? Low or high arch?
I am an underpronator, so I need stabilization. I have a medium arch. Knowing what type of shoe you need as well as listening to what your feet tell after putting on the shoe is half the battle. If something about the shoe annoys you after a few minutes of putting them then you can almost guarantee things will not get better running in them. Sometimes aesthetics needs to be replaced with function, fit, and fun.

5. Waterproof (WPF)?
The debate begins here and will continue on possibly after I am long gone. In my mind, you get waterproof shoes if in wet environments and anticipating getting wet at one point or another, mud, running creek, snow, etc. However, there is a trade-off....like always. WPF and breathable does not necessarily mean waterproof or breathable. WPF shoes have a tendency to trap moisture from the feet in the shoe; true some escapes with products like Gore-Tex but not all of it. What this translates to is the need to change socks a lot more than normal, best case. When this happens and you are on extended runs, you may end up with blisters that result in stopping a run.

With the right shoe and sock combination, you can soak feet, shoe, and sock then have the three bone dry in 5-10.

I would be more than happy to meet up with a group of people from this meetup.com group and go shoe shopping or talk gear. I am sure there are a number of us with years experience with trail running gear that would be of benefit us by meeting and talking.

swp

btw-member of ultrarunners if you are interested in joining the group. I am trying to get runs scheduled on a frequent basis that is for training.