addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Sac Geeks Community Calendar (www.sacgeeks.com) Message Board Old Stuff › Best of Sacramento collectible promotional playing cards idea -- you in?

Best of Sacramento collectible promotional playing cards idea -- you in?

Steph of w.
sacgeeks
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Bill and I came up with a fun idea for promoting our various stores, clubs, events, organizations, bands, etc. A collectible card deck with 52 different "geeky" (or "geek-friendly") advertisers.

The face of each card would feature a different advertiser or group (ie. the groups/clubs/businesss/orgs that you guys represent), via a logo in the middle of the card (in the white space between the suit & #s, or where the king/queen pic would be). For example, the Queen of Spades could Sacramento Open Shop, the Four of Diamonds could be the Sac Boardgame Meetup, the Three of Hearts could be a toy & collectible store.... The back of each card would be the same image, promoting www.sacgeeks.com's Best of Geeky Sacramento[/url] -- which would imply that you are among the best! ;)

Here is why we would do this on playing cards -- because we'd be creating a limited edition collectible card deck (and we know geeks like collectible card games, right?!) :) These cards could be handed out at fairs, conventions and other special events.

The idea is that we wouldn't hand prospective customers whole decks; instead, you would just give them one of your cards. So if you give a prospective customer or member one of your cards, they know would have to try to find the other 51 geek-friendly vendors/advertisers to get their cards too and collect the entire 52-card deck!

So we would be helping each other promote while promoting cohesiveness and fun in the geek community. And of course, there would be limited # of decks that can be collected, so that makes it more valuable.

Here are some examples of what such customized decks look like:

http://tinyurl.com/6r77qfz­

http://tinyurl.com/7m...­

http://tinyurl.com/893dovz­

http://tinyurl.com/7a...­

Hopefully, people will find this fun and want to trade other collectors to complete their decks. Maybe they'll post on FB "hey, any have a Steampunk Jack of Clubs" thus creating more buzz! And once someone collects a deck, if they play with their completed deck around other people, they are promoting for us as the other players see logos on the cards! Perhaps we can tie in other promotions down the road: i.e. post a picture of you playing with your Best of Geeky Sacramento deck on Facebook, and be entered into a prize drawing, for example. (So if someone asks why they should collect all 52, you can tell them their will be special opportunities for deck-holders soon.)

So I did some checking & calling around, it seems for about $50 per advertiser, we can afford to get 500 decks, or for about $65, 1000 decks. Depends on how limited a run we want to do vs. having a large quantity of cards to give out.

Here is how I see this working: What you each would get for your $50 is 500 of your own card, not 500 decks. So if you are the Queen of Diamonds, you would get 500 Queen of Diamond cards that all have your logo on the face, to give out as you see fit. (And who gets which card suit/value would be decided first come, first choose!)

But this would only work if we get 52 local advertisers (groups, clubs, meetups, stores, hackerspaces, organizations, bands, conventions, annual special events, anything, but they should fit the Sac Geeks theme) willing to put in at least $50. So what I'd like to know right now is, who is interested? If I hear from 52 of you, I'll do more vendor research, decide on a vendor, see if I can wrangle a better bulk deal, etc., and then get back to you with next steps.

Also any feedback/suggestions are welcome.

This promotion would also helping to be lead up to the Best of Geeky Sacramento contest we're having this summer! We'll be having a couple panels/events at upcoming Sac-Cons! Be on the lookout for more info on that soon!

Thanks,

Steph

530-417-3365

frellingbored@yahoo.com­

Steph of w.
sacgeeks
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 158

Keep in mind, 50 bucks for what is essentially 500 full-color "business cards" is actually a great deal! Especially since it's like 500 color business cards that other businesses encourage patrons to go out and find! Fun ones that people are less likely to just throw out!

We've already got Conquest Sac (King of Clubs) and The Kimberly Trip (Queen of Hearts) on board! Call dibs on your favorite card ASAP! :)
Steph of w.
sacgeeks
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 159
Some clarification: you can put anything you want in the white space of your card (not just your logo), image, photo, text, logo, slogan, website URL, twitter handle, store address -- whatever fits on the card, as long as your suit/# stays in the 2 corners.

Also, per some good suggestions, we'll likely go the 1000 cards for $65 route, and just split/seperate 500 (or less) of the decks into the seperate matching cards, and then distribute 10 or so whole full boxed decks each to each group to use as they see fit (some might use them as prizes, etc.) . So for $65, you get 500 of a single suit/number with your logo/info, sort of like getting 500 fullcolor oversized glossy high-quality business cards with a collectible twist, and 10 full "Best of Geeky Sacramento" boxed decks!

I think at that quantity, the whole decks start dropping to like a couple bucks each, if any group wants to order even more full decks, too.

If you are interested, just let me know which card suit/# you want to call dibs on! Hurry, to pick your favorite, because 10 people have already signed up & are snatching up the royal cards fast! No money is due until we have 52 interested parties (54 if we want Jokers), and everyone has signed off on their proofs.

I'll list what cards are taken next.
Marsh
MarshWildman
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1,998
I'll do it! Assign me a card!
Steph of w.
sacgeeks
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 161
Here is an update list of available/taken cards! The royal cards are pretty much gone!

If you are on FB, you can see this list and join our group here: https://www.facebook....­

Ace of Diamonds --MacNexus
King of Diamonds -- Jeffrey Louie (or Joker)
Queen of Diamonds -- Gwen Doyle
Jack of Diamonds -- Illuminati Special Events
Two of Diamonds -- Empire Comics Vault
Three of Diamonds -- Sacramento Faire Folks
Four of Diamonds
Five of Diamonds
Six of Diamonds
Seven of Diamonds -- Jax
Eight of Diamonds
Nine of Diamonds
Ten of Diamonds -- Capt. Cannicali

Ace of Hearts -- Permaculture
King of Hearts -- Sacramento Pirates Meetup
Queen of Hearts -- TKT
Jack of Hearts -- Critical Hit (or Joker)
Two of Hearts -- ECV Press
Three of Hearts
Four of Hearts
Five of Hearts
Six of Hearts -- Ladies of Steampunk
Seven of Hearts
Eight of Hearts
Nine of Hearts
Ten of Hearts -- Toy Fusion

Ace of Clubs -- Sac Steampunk Society (tentative)
King of Clubs -- Conquest Sac
Queen of Clubs -- Do Overs Thrift Store
Jack of Clubs -- Gamers' Grind
Two of Clubs -- Drink and Draw
Three of Clubs
Four of Clubs
Five of Clubs
Six of Clubs
Seven of Clubs
Eight of Clubs
Nine of Clubs -- This N That Thrift
Ten of Clubs -- Fanatic for FUN

Ace of Spades -- Fred Jeska
King of Spades -- Marsh Wildman
Queen of Spades -- Earl S. Wynn (Thunderdone Publishing)
Jack of Spades -- Sacramento Open Shop
Two of Spades -- Nooligan
Three of Spades
Four of Spades
Five of Spades
Six of Spades
Seven of Spades -- Movies on a Big Screen
Eight of Spades -- Strange Ideaz
Nine of Spades -- LOS Spun
Ten of Spades
Marsh
MarshWildman
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1,999
Do we know who each prospective sponsor is and where do we submit our finished work?
Steph of w.
sacgeeks
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 162
The sponsors are listed above, in the list of Taken cards. You can email me (frellingbored@yahoo.com) your finished work, or post it on the FB group:
https://www.facebook....­
Really, the FB group is the best place to interact with all the other participants, most of them are on there.
Thanks!
Steph of w.
sacgeeks
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 163
Just updated the list with new particpants!
Marsh
MarshWildman
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2,000
The sponsors are listed above, in the list of Taken cards.

Now I'm confused. My name is on that list and I have nothing to promote. I thought that was the card I was assigned.
Steph of w.
sacgeeks
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 164
Marsh: How about Downtown/Midtown Meetup? I have the King of Spades reserved for you. So basically you would get 500 King of Spades cards advertising Downtown/Midtown Meetup (or anything else of your choice). Feel free to give me call or IM me on FB if you have any more questions.