addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Beer Club Message Board › 2008 Beerdrinker of the Year

2008 Beerdrinker of the Year

Vinh
user 4522736
San Diego, CA
Post #: 46
Matt Venzke, a beer lover from Yorktown, VA, was crowned the winner of Wynkoop Brewing?s 2008 Beerdrinker of the Year contest in February. Venzke, an aircraft maintenance manager, has entered the annual contest four times and was a semifinalist last year.

?For four years now,? Venzke said, ?it?s been a dream of mine to win the Beerdrinker of the Year title. It?s great to now be recognized by the judges and previous winners. I?m proud to be among this very select group of beer lovers. I feel like I?ve been given a flag to carry for all of the great things beer has to offer.?

Venzke, whose home beer bar is The Taphouse on Queensway in Hampton, VA, is the second Virginia resident in a row to win the competition. Diane Catanzaro of Norfolk, VA, won last year.

Venzke beat out finalists J. Mark Angelus (Nehalem, OR) and Richard Pedretti-Allen (McKinney, TX). Venzke?s beery resumé includes visiting 454 breweries in 16 nations and 39 states. Over the past five years he?s recorded tasting notes on over 3,200 different beers from 69 different countries.

As the 2008 Beerdrinker of the Year, Venzke wins free beer for life at Wynkoop Brewing and a $250 beer tab at the Taphouse on Queensway.

I think we're falling a little short here people......let's step it up, eh!!!!

Vinh