addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Photography Collective Message Board › wildlife photo equipment

wildlife photo equipment

David K.
dkater
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
I'm planning a trip to Alaska next summer. Hope to capture lots of the beautiful scenery and wildlife. I'd like to upgrade my telephoto capability to take closer shots of wildlife from a distance. Currently have a PC-110 video camera that can capture 10x optical, but only 640x480. Not good enough for large prints. My Sony F717 can capture up to 5 megapixel images. It has a 5x optical zoom which can be increased to about 8.7x with a very heavy lens adapter. The F717's lens is fixed, so it can't be replaced with a larger telephot lens.

Looking at three options:

1. binoculars with built in digital camera. These seem to be 8x or 10x with up to 2 or 3 megapixel capture ability. These are only about $200 - $400.

2. telescope with camera adapter. This promises magnification of up to 60x. Hope the wildlife holds still!

3. digital SLR camera with telephoto lens.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you may have.

Thanks!

David
A former member
Post #: 6
I would choose #3, the digital SLR with a quality telephoto lens. I have a canon digital rebel, which now, I just purchased the new Canon EOS 20D on eBay a few days ago. My telephoto lens is a Canon 100-400mm with Image Stabilization (2 mode stabilization) "L" series lens. On a digital SLR, with the 1.6X lens conversion, it is actually 160-640mm, on the 35mm equivalent.

I think with the other 2 cameras, with an attachment, which would give 60x, for example, I think distortion and image quality would really be quite a worry, not to mention, the more times it zooms, the more sensitive you are to movement, which,without any image stabilization, you will wind up with blurred images.