addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Urban Exploration Meetup Group Message Board › Lawrence Welk Caves

Lawrence Welk Caves

Nathan
ibtrotter
Imperial Beach, CA
Post #: 87
Has anybody been to these? If so, do you know if they are still accessible, and do you need to have spelunking experience?
A former member
Post #: 19
I went into Lawrence Welk Cave back in mid April with a group of people.
You can see the photos here: http://www.beercheck....­
The crawl/climb down into the cave was a bit of a squeeze and we only explored one room, but that was enough for me. We didn't contort and squeeze our way into other parts of the cave, and I imagine you have to be into the whole caving thing - contorting and squeezing through small gaps in the dark- to really explore the whole cave. Lawrence Welk is quite tight and mazy and people have managed to get lost even in this small cave, the most recent people being some local kids who couldn't find their way out. You can always see local kids playing in and around the cave, and they've spray painted some interesting stuff in and around the cave.
I've been in many caves in my life and I can tell you that Lawrence Welk Cave is rather claustrophobic and not anything special to see, but I guess it would be an interesting experience for those who didn't know there were any caves in San Diego, and it's not too far to drive and a very short walk to get to it. I don't recommend going into the cave without someone who is experienced, and certainly not on your own. Even with the short exploration we did, a few people couldn't seem to remember the way they came in.

As a side note, there are Indian rock paintings on a huge overhanging boulder in the bottom of the canyon below Lawrence Welk Cave. The boulder is right by the track near the bottom of the hill. So if you go out to see the cave, walk a little further and see the rock art.

I went to the San Diego Grotto meeting a while ago too, it's San Diego's caving club. Their website is here:
http://www.sdgrotto.c...­
I plan to go to more of their meetings in the future as I'd like to hook up with them for a trip to the mud caves in the desert. I'm sure they know the location of all the mud caves and have good maps of them, and it would be the best way to see them.
You can find maps of some caves on their maps site. Here is the map for Lawrence Welk Cave:
http://www.sdgrotto.c...­
Here is a list of caves in San Diego:
? Cahuilla Creek: Nice boulder talus cave, with some nice rock climbing and the chance to get wet.
? Thunder Canyon Cave: fantastic underground river canyon with a 50ft and 80ft waterfall rappels. A Dread Chimney and a Terrible Traverse complete the full through trip experience. Rating: Intermediate (Advanced with high flowing water)
? Mud Caves: mile long underground desert tunnels and dry waterfalls excavated by ancient rivers. Rating: Most are Easy, apt for Family & Beginners. e-Ticket & Hidden are the most demanding, probably Intermediate.
? Midnight Creek : exceptional multi-level cave perched under a lake. Massive water dripping from the ceiling provides a unique underground ?Rainstorm? experience and good chances to need wetsuits. Rating: Beginner / Intermediate depending on water level.
? Lawrence Welk: popular mazy boulder cave with a small stream running through it maintaining a small population of albino frogs. Massive graffiti decorations give name to The Demon Room, Glow Room and others. Rating: Beginner
? Mossy Grade Cave: small cave right next to the campground. Perfect for practice with the kids. Rating: Family
? La Jolla Sea Caves : popular destination among for kayakers. Multiple through passages and cracks. Colorful Garibaldi fish, California Seals and Kelp forest make for a fantastic snorkel opportunity. Rating: Beginner, but can become tricky at high swell
? Sunset Cliffs Sea Caves: hard to access sea caves for the intrepid kayaker. Hidden passages become accesible at low tides, but only for a short period of time. Rating: Beginner to Intermediate

To be honest, San Diego doesn't have any really good caves - there are no limestone caves, only talus (boulder) caves. So they lack formations and are quite small and tight.
Nathan
ibtrotter
Imperial Beach, CA
Post #: 88
Great info! Midnight creek? Is that the one under Morena I've heard rumours of?
A former member
Post #: 20
Yeah, I heard Midnight Cave is under Lake Morena and that going in there depends very much on water level.
Thunder Cave is said to be quite an adventure, but you really need to go with the caving club for that one.

I'd like to do a trip to the mud caves when the desert cools down again. They're fairly easy and you can walk into most of them. That'd make for a good "urban" explorer outing.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, A couple of friends and I went into a cave above the lawrence welk resort, in hidden meadows, I was wondering if this was the same cave. I remember there was the box room because of a orange box bolted to a rock, a lot of graffitti and we had to jump a fence to get to it, also there were two other smaller caves above it. I looked at the map from san diego grotto and I don't remember a demon room, but there was a man hole cover. If its not could i get directions to the Lawrence Welk caves?
thanks
A former member
Post #: 33
Yeah that's it.

Hi, A couple of friends and I went into a cave above the lawrence welk resort, in hidden meadows, I was wondering if this was the same cave. I remember there was the box room because of a orange box bolted to a rock, a lot of graffitti and we had to jump a fence to get to it, also there were two other smaller caves above it. I looked at the map from san diego grotto and I don't remember a demon room, but there was a man hole cover. If its not could i get directions to the Lawrence Welk caves?
thanks

A former member
Post #: 1
I'd like to go to Lawrence welk too this weekend. Does anyone have directions or know who to contact. It says to contact NSS or Grotto for directions but when I go to their site there is no place to contact them.
Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 49
Lawrence Welk cave is a talus cave, which means it's formed by the spaces between large boulders. Water has washed out the soil between the boulders and left some spaces that form the "cave". You can get to Lawrence Welk cave by walking a couple hundred yards west from the corner of Meadow Glen W Way and Meadow Glen Way W in Hidden Meadows north of Escondido. This Google Map link shows the cave location exactly, you can see the boulders and there's a plastic sewer pipe that runs along the top of them. The map shows a road called "Moss Tree Ln" nearby which isn't actually there but you can walk down the dirt road there to the cave.
http://maps.google.co...­

Once you get to the boulders you have to slink between them to get into the cave, and a rope is useful to help you climb in and out. It's very claustrophobic and kind of scary getting into the cave, and you have dirt pouring down on you from above which is like being buried alive. After slinking down for a while you end up about 30 feet underground in some small caverns. In the caverns you'll find some graffiti from the local kids and an underground stream that flows through the cave, the same stream that washed out the soil between the boulders to form the cave.
The cave is a three dimensional maze and rather complex. Make sure you mark your way in so you can find your way out again. Kids have been lost in there before and had to be rescued, and as I said it's very tight and claustrophobic. I've been in there once before with a group of people and it was scary as hell, I certainly wouldn't want to go down there again. But if you're brave you can easily do it. Just don't go on your own and tell someone where you're going.

Also, if you continue to walk down the dirt road towards the bottom of the hill you'll see a giant boulder by the road, and in the overhang of that boulder you'll see some faint Indian petroglyphs on the rock face. It's well worth the slog up and down the hill to see them.

Here are some pics from the time I went in there:

I'd like to go to Lawrence welk too this weekend. Does anyone have directions or know who to contact. It says to contact NSS or Grotto for directions but when I go to their site there is no place to contact them.
Thanks!

A former member
Post #: 50
I should have read my original post, I was a little repetetive, but the pictures speak a thousand words.
If you think you're into caving you can join the San Diego Grotto. They have meetings on the second Monday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Standley Park Recreation Center, 3585 Governor Drive. They organize trips to all the caves around San Diego throughout the year. I actually work with a guy who's a mad caver and part of the SD Grotto and I've done the mud caves with them. If you want to do the mud caves like never before you should go to the meeting and find out when their next trip will be.
lee
user 2924495
San Diego, CA
Post #: 300
http://www.abandoneds...­
He's got GPS and great description/directions to 2 of the caves.

I went and looked for the one in McCain Valley a while back
http://www.meetup.com...­
I was inspired by
http://www.meetup.com...­
they know exactly where it is :)