Today we will paddle the Medina River from Old Pearsal Road to the Alamo River RV Resort. I have never paddled this section of river before, so let's do some exploring.
After we are finished paddling we have been invited to join the Adventure Club San Antonio for their 11th anniversary party.
Before you sign up here are a few things to consider;
- I talked to folks at Alamo River RV Resort. The river is up, with plenty of water to paddle in. This will be around 6 miles of river.
- Alamo River RV Resort has what look to be clean bathrooms with showers so we can clean up after our paddle
- Google maps shows lots of trees along the river, so we should stay cool
- The campground is pet-friendly. I know everyone in our group who brings a dog will abide by their rules, which are not posted online, but must be 'keep them on a leash' and 'keep them quiet', or something similar
- The Adventure Club San Antonio is having their 11th anniversary party today, and have invited us to join them.
- $5/person gets us in the campground, and also admission to the party. Dirk will have a keg of Alamo Golden Ale . You can camp overnight if you want to for no additional charge!
- A pot-luck dinner will start around 6:00 pm. There will be grills and some cooking stoves
- A "fire spinning" group will perform around dusk
- a BIG bonfire will be starting around dusk
The "maybe not so great, but not too bad either"
- Folks at Alamo River RV Resort said that somewhere along our paddle is a downed tree, we may need to portage around it
- I was told that folks do put in at Old Pearsal Road, but the campground folks have never seen the put-in. Arial maps show concrete drainage channels leading from the road to the river, so it looks pretty easy.
Meet at The Knights of Columbus hall at 2:00 pm (8284 Old Pearsall Rd, San Antonio, TX ). This is very close to our put-in spot.
We will unload the boats at the river. It looks like we walk down concrete drainage ditches from Old Pearsall Road to the river.
Someone will stay with the boats while we drive to the campground & leave vehicles there. One vehicle will drive all of us back to the put in. If folks from the Adventure Club are at the campground already, we might get one of them to drive us to the put-in.
We then paddle, probably portage a log jam, then take out at the campground. Someone will drive back to the put-in to retrieve the one vehicle we left there, unless we had someone drive us earlier.
We can then enjoy a pot-luck BBQ dinner with a keg of beer. Bring something for the dinner if you place to join in.
What to bring;
- all your paddling gear
- ropes, in case we need to portage the log jam
- everything for your dog, if he/she lets you come play with us today
- $5 for the campground
- food, if you plan on joining the pot-luck dinner
- change of clothes, soap, towel to clean up after
- camping gear if you decide to stay overnight
- chair to relax in
Alamo River RV Resort
12430 Trawalter Lane, Von Ormy, TX 78073
From the North or East: Take I-35 south (toward Laredo) to exit 140, Loop 1604. Turn Right onto Loop 1604 and drive 2/10 mile then turn Left onto Quintana access road. Drive 2/10 mile, cross RR tracks and make an immediate right turn onto Quintana Road. Drive 9/10 mile to first road on left, Trawalter Lane. Make left turn onto Trawalter Lane. Drive 7/10 mile and Alamo River RV Ranch is on your right at the end of Trawalter Lane.