La Paz Fall 2023 Dive Trip! Three-peat on a budget!
Power Scuba's third trip to La Paz with Fun Baja! It's a great vendor!
Beautiful and exciting diving - Hammerhead sharks and sea lions! Night dive with Mobulas! Snorkel with Whale Sharks possible!
All at the finest resort in La Paz...
Trip Cost: $1,350 per diver, double occupancy.
Included: airport transfers, 7 nights’ accommodations, all breakfasts, lunches, 5 days of 3 tank dives
Not included: Airfare, dinners, gratuities, NITROX, optional activities.
How to RSVP and payments (this is new)
$1.00 reservation fee here will hold your spot until your balance is received. After you secure your spot on this page, immediately make the total payment of $1,349 via Check or Zelle.
1. RSVP here on this page - $1.00 fee (only)
- Immediately mail a check for $1,349 to Power Scuba 12546 Heatherton Court #41 San Diego, Ca 92128 -or- Zelle the amount to Powerscuba1@gmail.com (include a note stating "La Paz Deposit"
If payment not received within 5 business days you will be removed from the list.
*Payments are non-refundable*
End of September is considered one of the best times to dive in La Paz. We have secured 20 spots at the Hotel Waterfront in La Paz. Located in a private marina, inside the resort is our dive operation FUN BAJA (http://www.funbaja.com/). This trip includes airport transfers on both ends, accommodations, diving, lunch, and breakfasts. There is even an optional Whale Shark snorkeling event on the last day.
Arrive Saturday, September 23 at La Paz airport and then transfer to the resort in Fun Baja vans. We then spend 5 full days of diving (three tanks per day), a night dive with Mobulas Rays, plus an optional day off-gassing snorkeling with Whale Sharks and enjoying the resort and surrounding area. On Saturday, September 30th, we transfer back to La Paz airport for the flight back to home.
Air travel: Not included. Book your own flight to La Paz. Some folks like to fly out of Tijuana others prefer San Diego International, or from wherever you live – your choice.
Airport transfers: Airport transfers between the La Paz airport and the resort are included. Nice shuttle vans (provided) will meet you at the airport and take you directly to the resort.
Accommodations: Seven nights at the Hotel Water Front. Rooms have two full-size beds, Roommate requests will be fulfilled whenever possible, as well as same gender assignments.
Dives: Five days of 3-tank dives with Fun Baja (http://www.funbaja.com/), the best dive operation in La Paz. Air, tanks, weights and the marine park fee are included. Nitrox is available for $100 for the trip. (Arrange this with me and pay FunBaja once there.) Rental gear is also available. (Arrange this with FunBaja once checked into the resort, the day before we dive.) All boats will have marine heads (toilets). This is a no-take trip, so no fishing, etc. Dive sites may include but are not limited to: Los Islotes: One tank playing with sea lions and one tank along the wall circling the island and swimming through the keyhole. There may be time to snorkel between dives too.
Wrecks: Cleaned (Fang Ming, Lapas 03) and uncleaned (La Salvatierra).
Reefs: Full of fish. La Reyna. Swanee Reef, on which the La Salvatierra ran aground and then sank. El Bajo: A deepish pinnacle where hammerheads congregate.
Other spots include walls and other structures (La Reynita, San Francisquito, Pailebot.)
Whale Shark Snorkeling: This will be done on the off-day for $100. It is on a separate event page.
Meals: All breakfasts are included at the hotel. Lunches are included by Fun Baja on dive days on the boat. Dinners are not included, but there are several options: the marina has 3 or 4 restaurants. Additionally, there is a mini-mart in the marina with food. It is also easy to catch the free shuttle or cab to La Paz, a short 5-10 minute drive.
What to bring:
Dive gear - If you are able, bring all of your own dive gear, except weights and tanks. Fun Baja has gear to rent and Nitrox for an additional fee. As always, be sure to bring a safety sausage, whistle and cutting implement. (if you bring a pony tank Fun Baja will fill there) Water temps should be pretty warm. Exposure protection: check out this web site: Water temperature in La Paz (Mexico) in September. Fun Baja will provide weights and AL 80's.
- Luggage - Check with your carrier.
- Clothing - Surface air temps are expected to be in the low to mid 90's. Bring hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, and water bottles that you can refill there. Bring a light jacket just in case the evenings cool down.
- Medications - Ensure you pack all required medications/prescriptions. Also include seasickness and stomach medications if desired.
- Passport - Required. (Have at least 6 months of validity left on it after the return date. Don't wait until the last minute to attend to this.)
- Your Great Attitude - This is going to be a super fun trip! We are spending 7 days together so bring your high spirits and POSITIVE attitudes!
- Inoculations - No special inoculations. Check back here for updates.
- Insurance - You MUST obtain DAN http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/ or similar insurance for this trip. It is required to board the boat.
- Tipping - The crew is fantastic and incredibly helpful. Be sure to reward great service.
- Courtesy - Power Scuba plans to work with Fun Azul/Baja again in the future. Let's leave them with the same good impression we do on all of our events.
- Language is Spanish. English is understood in most places and on the boat.
- Electrical outlets are 120 volts, so no converters are needed. A surge protector for your electronics is a good idea.
- A dive computer is needed. One that has a nitrox mode is important.
More information can be had at our Questions and Answers page
ADVANCED: You must have an Advanced scuba certification (or better) to go on this trip... or ANY overseas trip.
If you're a single, we'll pair you up with another person in your cabin. (Same gender if at all possible.) You may or may not be that person's diving partner. We'll sort it out.
Trip insurance is ALWAYS a good thing
Your Checklist/forms. Print and send completed forms to Power Scuba:
*_______ Signed on-line Power Scuba Liability Release submitted: http://bit.ly/power-scuba
_______ Medical and Boat Questionnaire (answered & signed):
Email it to the address on the form (email@example.com)
_______ Pack-out List: Posted in our Discussions Board thread
_______ Passport (with at least 6 months validity AFTER your return date).
_______ Verify the Roommate list
_______ Read this event page in its entirety.
- One free spot is provided to the trip organizer by Fun-Azul. This spot is ON TOP OF the discount we garner because of our numbers.
- A small amount has been added to each person's trip cost for Trip Organizer airfare, administrative needs, incidentals, shuttle tips, etc.
- The organizer/Power Scuba does not receive any commission or other kick-backs.
MUST READ ADMIN SECTION:
- If you haven't submitted a liability release for Power Scuba, please follow this link, sign, and submit: http://bit.ly/power-scuba
- You must also read this: Disclaimer and Clarification (AKA Terms and Conditions): https://www.meetup.com/Scuba-Diving-San-Diego/messages/boards/thread/5914647
- Anyone with a medical condition possibly counter-indicative to diving must have a doctor's signature on a diving waiver form and submit the signed form to Bill Powers (or an organizer) before they may attend any Power Scuba event. YOU MAY NOT ATTEND AN EVENT WITH AN UNDISCLOSED MEDICAL CONDITION. Doing so is grounds for expulsion from the group. Here is our Medical Statement https://www.facebook.com/groups/PowerScuba/files. Therein you'll find a Doctor Waiver form as well.
- Attending any scuba event that Power Scuba facilitates constitutes attendee's affirmation they are medically fit to dive, certified to dive by a nationally-recognized agency, have the necessary skill & training level for the dive being offered, have read the Terms and Conditions, and have submitted the on-line signed Liability Release.
- Important Notes: It is not the Organizer's role to lead your dive. The Power Scuba Organizer does not function as a divemaster. (The boat provides DMs.) He or she merely facilitates the event. Once members arrive at the boat, the Organizer becomes simply another diver and liaison with boat staff.
- Your participation constitutes your affirmation you agree to these above rules and disclaimers.... and that your buddy, if applicable, has read and agrees to the same.