addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Galen B.
user 9919658
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 1
Hi all,

Whats the best way to get into tech diving i.e. geater than 30 meters? TDI?
David D.
Tanguero56
Clifton Park, NY
Post #: 13
Whats the best way to get into tech diving i.e. geater than 30 meters? TDI?

The best way is with an instructor you trust to help you find your way to be a better diver with new skills to minimize risk on the dives you wish to do. My technical dive training and certification is through TDI, my buddy back in Taiwan is certified through DSAT TecRec which is an offshoot of PADI. TDI is more mix and match while DSAT is all at once which could be more than a person wants to commit to all at once. I was trained and certified in Philippines and do not know the instructors around here.

Good luck and please let us know what you learn in your investigation.
Ben
user 8266134
Santa Clara, CA
Post #: 15
David, thanks for that great response!

I too did my (thus far, very limited) tech training with TDI. It was when I lived in Colorado, with an instructor from there as well. I hear great things about one of the TDI instructors here in the bay area, and intend, when I'm ready, to continue my education with him.

To add one other option, don't overlook GUE. They have a powerful presence here in the bay area, and for good reason- they turn out top notch divers. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the Fundamentals course that they offer, and the instructor that teaches it. Before I continue with TDI, I'll be taking this course.

You have options in this area in terms of great agencies and instructors; the best thing you can do is find someone with whom you can get along, and who you trust.
David D.
Tanguero56
Clifton Park, NY
Post #: 14
...don't overlook GUE...powerful presence here in the bay area...they turn out top notch divers...heard nothing but wonderful things about the Fundamentals course that they offer, and the instructor that teaches it...I'll be taking this course.

Ben makes excellent points, especially bringing up GUE. I had not realized there were a certifying agency but I knew they have some good regional information.

I never knew anyone certified by GUE, but the published material they have out there is an excellent source of ideas. I had the impression their admission standards were high, the guy I knew who admired GUE the most would also be unwelcome to join them as he is a cigarette smoker. Most folks I know are certified by TDI, a few took the GUE course, and most read the GUE stuff to adapt as much as suits their diving style.

Some of the GUE teachings like all decompression cylinders on one side is developed for cave divers riding scooters into the distant reaches. I am sure it is just right for our scooter-riding friends who launch from Whaler's Cove at Point Lobos. Decompression cylinders slung to one side is not optimal for wreck penetration divers who have no concern for scooter propeller wash and might prefer balance. I personally prefer slinging the decompression cylinders one on each side with first mix to switch to on my left and highest oxygen on my right.

That said, the information GUE has put out there is worthy of respect. Their video on frog kick which may no longer be available is useful. The diver demonstrates using frog kick to swim backwards which is an awesome skill especially for underwater photography. And their bathymetric map of the Point Lobos dive area is another excellent resource.

So, I am continuing my training through TDI which I augment with outside reading including material prepared by GUE.
Supersand
user 8920844
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
One other training path is through Unified Team Diving (UTD) it's a the newer agency along the same lines as GUE. I've taken their essentials course which I found to be an excellent course. It's much like the fundamentals course which focuses on the diving basics of trim, buoyancy control, non-silting propulsion, precise positioning, team/environmental awareness, plus air sharing and emergency procedures (while in trim and maintaining buoyancy control). The skills sounds pretty easy but they can be a little difficult and require some practice to master.

-Erik