addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Scooter Squadron Message Board Advice - Sought & Provided › Replacement Batteries -- Advice Needed!

Replacement Batteries -- Advice Needed!

Dave E
FiveWheelsRock
San Diego, CA
Post #: 781
Does anyone know the correct replacement battery for a GTS-250?

Red Dragon's battery has failed (Parts Unlimited RCB10L-B, sold us 2 years ago by a former local Vespa dealer.) We first had trouble with it last July on the first Footbridges ride, with intermittent starting problems since, but now it's totally kaput. That exact make/model is sold online and supposedly at some local motorcycle dealers, but it's not maintenance-free. It needed frequent checking and refilling, difficult with the battery installed, and it's a real pain to remove it. Also, the last one began to fail after only a year.

Another local Vespa dealer told us the correct replacement was CTX12-BS, but theirs had only a super-short warranty. We found a CTX12-BS with zero maintenance and lifetime warranty at a local motorcycle dealer, but that is NOT the correct replacement battery. It's too long (won't fit in the battery tray) and too low (hold-down clamp won't hold it.) I built a new little tray for it, with a spacer underneath to raise it to the correct height, but at the last minute (fortunately before adding the acid) noticed that the terminals are reversed so the wires won't reach! Just one too many adaptations to work around, if there's any other way out.

Has anyone had a GTS-250 battery failure and needed a replacement? I really want to get a maintenance-free battery if possible, preferably one with a warranty longer than a ridiculous 30 or 60 days.
Perry
TripodosaurusRex
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1,213
Try this one
http://www.motobattba...­
Wagehog
Wagehog
El Cajon, CA
Post #: 136
Call Battery Warehouse in La Mesa. They have the YTX12-BS for around $70
Dave E
FiveWheelsRock
San Diego, CA
Post #: 782
Thanks, Perry and Tom, but neither one will fit. crying Battery needed is 134 x 82 x 145 mm. Perry's reference, the Motobatt MBTX12U, is said to replace the Yuasa YTX12-BS. Tom's reference is also to the YTX12-BS, which is 151 x 87 x 130. Too long, too wide, and too shallow for the retaining bar to hold it. Size matters, alas; the GTS-250's battery is a very close fit in its niche. (Also, absence of an "L" in the model number means the terminals are reversed from what's required.)
Perry
TripodosaurusRex
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1,214
Go to modern Vespa there are several threads on the subject.
Dave E
FiveWheelsRock
San Diego, CA
Post #: 783
Go to modern Vespa there are several threads on the subject.
What page(s)? (I went through 25 of the 1,238 pages and found no applicable threads.)
Perry
TripodosaurusRex
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1,215
I did a search of AGM gts 250 and came up with several posts

http://modernvespa.co...­
Dave E
FiveWheelsRock
San Diego, CA
Post #: 789
Red Dragon is flying again! laughing No sealed AGM batteries with the right dimensions and terminal positions and carrying acceptable warranties were found in stock, locally or online, after running down every lead offered. We finally went with a Megaboost CTX12-BS from Cycle Gear, a sealed AGM with lifetime warranty. I made a new tray for it out of Trex, slicing the material to 1/8" for the sides and about 5/8" on the bottom to space it up so the hold-down clamp would work. The bottom of the tray was carefully fitted, rounded and shaped to be an exact fit in the battery recess, and the interior was fitted to the battery with 1/16" allowed on the sides for a retrieval strap. The terminals were on the wrong ends, so I added an extension to the ground wire (leading it around the left side) and shortened the positive wire. Since the battery in a GTS is very hard to remove and replace, I made a wide removal strap out of inflatable-boat material; removing it now is just a matter of lifting up by the strap. Photos available on request, or look in Modern Vespa when I get around to posting there.

A caution to all riders: No matter how hard it is to get the battery out to check it, DO IT, at regular intervals. Do NOT rely on the servicing dealers to do so. If your battery isn't a sealed type, battery electrolyte level should be checked more often than you take your scooter in for service, and some dealers don't always check it anyway; stick with a reliable, authorized dealer.
Wagehog
Wagehog
El Cajon, CA
Post #: 140
How much?
Dave E
FiveWheelsRock
San Diego, CA
Post #: 790
How much?
Over $90 with tax, but zero maintenance and lifetime warranty. Since we were being offered 3-month and 6-month warranties elsewhere (one place only 60 days!) it seemed worth the outlay; our last battery, bought from a Vespa dealer, started giving trouble (and stranded us on a ride) after only a year.

It appears that some GTS-250's have the terminals one way and some the other! Ours had to have an "L" in the number. Motobatt batteries have four terminals, so they can go in either way, but the correct size was unavailable.