Self Reliant living is a way of life that can help you become less dependent on “the system” which during different types of disaster may not be available. It helps us to stand on our own two feet and provide as much of our basic needs ourselves and potentially for those around us.
The term prepper has received a bad connotation over the past few years. Preppers were advised to stockpile beans, bullets, and band aids. However, what will you do when those stock piles run out. How will you provide for yourself and your family? This is where self reliant living becomes a necessity because you will already have the skill and practice to provide for yourself after stock has run out.
Disasters can come from multiple sources including socio-economic, natural, and personal (think job loss).
Meetups may include such topics as:
• Solar power
• Aquaponic/hydroponic systems
• The importance of microgreens and how to grow them
• Organic gardening
• Communications - Ham and other radios
• Front yard pharmacy - using herbs and weeds for healing
• Water purification
• Eat your weeds - Foraging
• Alternate cooking sources - Earth oven, solar oven, rocket stove etc.