addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sewing with Style Message Board › Introducing The Drafthouse!

Introducing The Drafthouse!

Susan K.
moonthirty
Georgetown, TX
Hello Sewing with Style seamsters!

We'd like to share with you a new initiative that we're launching based on the interests of our group. Beginning in November, we will hold periodic meetings called The Drafthouse, where we will work together on the following types of activities:

* creating our custom blocks
* drafting our own patterns
* sharing our experiences with the multitudes of published resources out there (books, internet, workshops, etc.)
* recreating details we love from designer styles
* rubbing off our favorite RTW items in our closets
* learning dressmaking, alteration, draping techniques
* this is only the beginning -- the list is sure to grow!

Many of our members already have a few or more of these awesome skills, and many of us have a long list of things we want to learn. This will be a great venue for us to learn together and/or from each other, growing our skill set as well as our awesome wardrobes. ;~)

Our first meeting will be held on November 15th (to be scheduled on Meetup shortly). During this session, we plan to buddy up and take extensive -- and accurate -- measurements of each other that will be invaluable in our sewing arsenals. We'll be able to use these numbers in creating our blocks, as well as in making accurate alterations to existing patterns.

While we do intend to build upon our skills and learn new techniques over time, this is not a must-attend-every-session type of thing. Each meeting will be standalone, unless we specify otherwise (for instance, some activities may take more than one session). We hope that all of you will find something that interests you within the plans! Please contact us if you have any questions or ideas about The Drafthouse.

Thanks,
Susan Menta
Susan Katz

P.S. In concurrence with this launch, our BiblioStyles book club meetings will be changed to bimonthly. The next one will be scheduled on the Meetup site soon!
Susan K.
user 6508523
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I LOVE this idea! Have tried doing these things on my own and it is challenging. How great to have the group support. Also, can we add a pants sloper to the mix? I'd love to try the method of using a flexi-ruler to get the crotch curve perfect. (I think it is in that big alterations book we were talking about awhile back.) I bought a flexi-ruler already. Pants are the holy grail of pattern-making!!
Susan K.
moonthirty
Georgetown, TX
Post #: 2
Also, can we add a pants sloper to the mix?...Pants are the holy grail of pattern-making!!

Absolutely! :-)