addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sewing with Style Message Board › SEWING WITH STYLE IS BACK!!!

SEWING WITH STYLE IS BACK!!!

Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
I don't know if I ever attended any of the Meetups, but I met some of the group through classes at First Samples. I am a beginner seamstress, so I enjoyed having more experienced seamsters around to help when I got stuck. I also appreciated the social aspect of getting together with other people to sew. Sewing alone at home always got edged out of the way by something else that would come up. :) SO, group projects would be fun. Like if everyone was working on something similar. But I remember that finding sufficient studio space after First Samples closed was an issue...

Hi Emily, I haven't taken classes at most of the sewing schools in Austin but I can say that every single class at First Samples was top-notch. I loved, as you said, learning a bunch, sewing in a social setting, being able to focus... and I loved that sewing was me-time. smile

A couple of the other organizers did a lot of research into potential meetup sewing spaces with Shauna, and we're meeting soon to get caught up and try to update that information. If you have any recommendations, please let us know.
Kristin
user 9583108
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Thanks for getting this group going again! I've been sewing for about 36 years (!) and would like help with fitting, mostly. I also just want to meet people who know what I'm talking about when I say "double welt pocket".

I'm interested in fitting, new patterns, and just seeing what other people are up to. I'd love to encourage and coach beginners, too. How about fabric swaps and pattern reviews?

I've been sewing like crazy that last few weeks. What else can you do when it's 104 degrees outside?
Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Post #: 12
Thanks for getting this going again Antoinette.

We met briefly at a SewingWithStyle "fabric bazaar" in Mar last year. I'm afraid I've been a
stranger since then. I hope to make it to more events.

I'd vote for sewing sessions as well as learning/exchanging notes on techniques.
Of particular interest to me currently are:
o Working with slinky/light/fluid fabrics
o New-life-for-old-T-shirts ideas
o Millinery
o Dyeing

I'm indifferent to fabric shopping; it's not like I need to add to my "to do" stash of fabrics! :)

Finally, I think viewing parties for "Project Runway" or viewing of fashion show pics on style.com
would be fun.

Well, there it is; I hope others chime in as well.

Andy -- Of course I remember you! The ponytail, the fact that you sew for your wife -- LOL! Plus, everyone always remembers one guy who sews in the room full of 100 women. Haha. You have made some really wonderful suggestions. Offhand, the t-shirt one sounds like it will require the least amount of extra tools... I'll share all the feedback from this thread with the organizers as we get things sorted out.

And it would be awesome if you would lead one of the Meetups. I'll contact you via direct message to see if you have any topics you'd be ready to lead right away. Thanks!!!
Angela
AngelaSo
Austin, TX
Yeah! I'm so glad this is starting up again! I would love all the suggestions above and possibly SWAPs, refashioning ideas, and possible a UFO party where people bring their UFOs and work on them together. :)
Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Post #: 13
OK, it is clear that I'm not getting the hang of this message board software yet. I'm sorry that my responses to specific people are not displaying on the screen as I see them in my head.

Kristin -- Great ideas. We had a "fitting buddy" meetup every month in the past. I am meeting with Susan, who led those, to see if a possible location for that kind of meetup has been identified. I'll add all your ideas, and thanks for being willing to lead some beginner groups! I will contact you about that!

AngelaSo -- Is this NGLalala??? Fabric and clothing swaps are high on my list. Hope to see you in person instead of virtually like we've been blogging buddies for so long now. :)
A former member
I will definitely attempt to de-lurk this time around smile. I would love it if the location of meetups could move around (all my other meetups tend to happen in South Austin, which can be a turn off as I live in Round Rock). I hope I can make it to Cafe Mundi. I love that place!
Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Post #: 14
Hi Rosanna - thank you for de-lurking. :) Please stay uncloaked! I totally hear you. Appreciate your feedback on wanting more meetups north of the river, and into Round Rock. Thanks so much. Hope you can make the drive in to Cafe Mundi so we can all meet.
A former member
Post #: 262
i too am north of the river..