Ronald Bradford has two decades of enterprise RDBMS industry experience with MySQL (10 years), Oracle (8 years) and Ingres (7 years) technologies. He provides independent advisory and consulting services, solving essential business continuity needs that address availability, scalability, and resilience. He is the 2009 MySQL Community member of the year. In 2010 he was recognized as an Oracle ACE Director and was co-author of the book Expert PHP and MySQL. You can find his presentations and writings at http://ronaldbradford... (http://ronaldbradford.com) and on Twitter at @RonaldBradford and @MySQLExpert.
The most common mistakes are easy to avoid however many startups continue to fall prey, with the impact including large re-design costs, delays in new feature releases, lower staff productivity and less then ideal ROI. All growing and successful sites need to achieve higher Availability, seamless Scalability and proven Resilience. Know the right MySQL environment to provide a suitable architecture and application design to support these essential needs.
Some details of the presentation would include:
* The different types of accessible data (e.g. R/W, R, none)
* What limits MySQL availability (e.g software upgrades, blocking statements, locking etc)
* The three components of scalability - Read Scalability/Write Scalability/Caching
* Design practices for increasing scalability and not physical resources
* Disaster is inevitable. Having a tested and functional failover strategy
* When other products are better (e.g. Static files, Session management via Key/Value store)
* What a lack of accurate monitoring causes
* What a lack of breakability testing causes
* What does "No Downtime" mean to your organization
* Implementing a successful "failed whale" approach with pre-emptive analysis
* Identifying when MySQL is not your bottleneck
6:30 - 7:00 -- Doors open/general socializing & food provided by Percona
7:00 - 7:15 -- Intro/announcements
7:15 - 8:00(ish) -- Main presentation by Ronald Bradford
8:00 - 9:00 -- Main presentation Q&A
9:00 - 10:00 -- General discussion/Q&A/networking/etc.
10:00ish -- post-event socializing... aka beers someplace nearby