*This event is co-hosted with Orrick. Please RSVP via the Eventbrite page! (http://www.eventbrite.com/e/back-to-school-in-the-digital-age-how-educators-and-entrepreneurs-use-and-protect-student-data-tickets-15522643645)*
The proliferation of education technology has led to many questions about what, and how, student data is collected, analyzed and used. As student privacy and security concerns grow, how must educators, entrepreneurs, investors and learners respond?
What new privacy laws and proposed legislation should every stakeholder be aware of—and how will they influence funding and purchasing decisions? What can the industry do to provide more transparency about how data is properly used and safeguarded?
This evening will feature a double-header lineup of experts: the first panel will take a look at privacy issues from the perspective of school leaders, and the following session will examine how the industry can step up.
Panel 1: What must educator and school districts do to address new privacy regulations and parent concerns while fostering an innovative learning environment?
• Alan Simpson (Director of Policy and Communications, iKeepSafe.org)
• Craig Blackburn (Director of Technology Programs and Instructional Support, Santa Clara County Office of Education)
• Melissa Dodd (Chief Technology Officer, San Francisco Unified School District)
Panel 2: How should edtech leaders address privacy issues while advancing learning opportunities?
• Betsy Corcoran (Founder and CEO, EdSurge)
• Emily Tabatabai (Edtech Privacy Expert, Orrick)
• Dan Carroll (Co-founder, Clever)
• Shauntel Poulson (Co-founder and General Partner, Reach/NewSchools Capital)
• Steven Katz (Strategic Advisor - Education, Hearst Corporation)
Hors d'oeuvres, beer and wine will be served.
This Meetup is co-hosted with Orrick. Please go to the Eventbrite page to RSVP (http://www.eventbrite.com/e/back-to-school-in-the-digital-age-how-educators-and-entrepreneurs-use-and-protect-student-data-tickets-15522643645)!