Mt. Dade. A beautiful thirteener with classic routes such as the Hourglass Couloir, North Face and Cat's Ears Couloir. Maximum 8. For current SMC members only. Not a member yet? Join here.
Friday we'll gather at 9:00 am at the trailhead. We'll go over gear and safety and travel a few miles to basecamp . Once camp is established we'll do some recon, hiking around to look at Mt. Dade. We may climb partway up Treasure Peak for a great view. Our goal is to split into teams for the following days objectives. We'll return to camp in the evening to enjoy a hot meal and some rest.
Saturday we'll head out early to climb Mt. Dade or another peak. We'll return to camp in the afternoon, pack up and be back out at the cars by 8:00 pm at the latest.
REQUIRED CLOTHING, EQUIPMENT AND GEAR
• Wicking, breathable base layers, top and bottom
• Insulating, weather-resistant mid layer, top and bottom
• Wind and waterproof shell layer, top and bottom
• Insulating fill or down belay jacket
• Socks, liners
• Gloves or mittens
• Warm hat - the toque!
• 25-45 liter climbing backpack*
• Sleeping bag
• Sleeping pad
• Tent or bivy - may be provided by the group.
• Stove, pot
• High energy food for two days
• Bear canister
• Mug / bowl, spoon
• Water bottles* or containers
• Headlamp* and extra batteries
• Map and compass*
• Small knife*
• Personal items, medications, etc.
• SMC Member Handbook
• Mountaineering boots
• Mountain axe and second technical ice tool
• Lightweight harness*
• Hard shell climbing helmet*
• Steel crampons,* fit to your boots
• 2 locking carabiners,*
• Two 48" sewn slings or runners*
• Loop of 5mm cord*
• Belay device*
PROVIDED BY SMC
• Technical climbing gear: ropes, snow/ice protection, assorted slings and carabiners
• Some tents
• Some stoves, pots
*Denotes loaner gear available upon prior request, first-come, first serve.
For help in selecting the appropriate item, please refer to the SMC Detailed Clothing, Equipment and Gear List
For more information or questions, please contact the listed event leaders, or Darren Shutt, Executive Director at [masked], (916)[masked] or Phil Montanes, Managing Director (916)[masked]
SMC: Connect, Learn, Climb