addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Silicon Valley Artificial Intelligence Message Board › News : « corticogenèse in vitro » (Nature 17th of August)

News : « corticogenèse in vitro » (Nature 17th of August)

A former member
Post #: 1
News from the Universite Libre de Brussel, Belgium.

Announcement at : ULB.ac.be (french version only)

First review in the French press : Le Monde, 18/08/08 (french version only)

Published in English in the current Nature.

This "les neurones ainsi greffés sont capables de se connecter avec le cerveau hôte pour former des circuits neuronaux spécifiques du cortex" (that would go like "implanted neurons are able to connect to the host brain to build specific neural circuits in the cortex") to me this is pretty amazing.

It opens up plenty of new possibilities ... so what do you think, how would you use it?
Kennita
kennita
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 34
The first thing I thought of was restoring the neural function lost to my MS. In general, I don't think it would be useful for cortical function because a specific neural circuit in brain A might not have the same effect as the same neural circuit in brain B. It might, however, simplify the addition of functionality to constructed brains.
A former member
Post #: 3
Well maybe it could be useful for cortical or any other function as long as somewhere somehow we can extract the information about the structure of how it grew before any problem occurred. Even with partial information we could even hypothesize and build something "good enough" to function and that will re-adapt itself once in function.
I think most biological or even technological implants are always imperfect but the body, as one of the most adaptable device existing, finds a way to integrate the unbalance or imperfections.