addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › When one of the kids moves away . . .

When one of the kids moves away . . .

A former member
Post #: 1
I've been divorced since 2007 and have been the primary "go to" parent for the kids through the years, driving them to soccer, dance, ice skating, hockey, and sitting with them practicing piano, doing homework, school projects. I loved every minute of it.

My son just graduated from high school and will be entering MATC's transfer program with an eye to transferring into UW's Biomedical Engineering program. My daughter enters high school in the fall and loves the performing arts . My ex-wife is moving to Tennessee and there is a very good high school with an exceptional performing arts program right in the town she is moving to . . . so, I've agreed to have my daughter move with her and attend this school.

I'm trying to have a "brave face" about it, but as the July move date gets closer, I'm realizing this is going to be very hard. I'm hoping someone here has a "been-there-done-that" bit of support or advice. My son will still be here living with me, but I remember how much face time my mom and dad got when I went to college. I realized the other day that my days of taking one or both of the kids to school or picking them up are suddenly over. I will miss those conversations.

- Greg
A former member
Post #: 44
Greg -

I have zero experience in what you going through. So my suggestions are weak and lame. But you ended your note with "I will miss those conversations". Why do they have to stop? With the world of cell phones and computers now.. you can still have that, just in under 120 characters. Send your kids a brief text message every morning to replace the drive time. Send them a short e-mail everyday to replace the pick ups. I'm sure they will hate it and not see the importance of it (they are teenagers). But it will give you some piece of mind, that for that moment they are at least thinking about you.

As long as your daughter doesn't come home waring TN orange you'll be ok.
A former member
Post #: 6
Scot,

We've installed Skype and FaceTime for daily conversations and of course theirs always a quick phone call. There's just something so special when you're driving along and your little girl reaches out and takes your hand while you talk. She is also entering high school and she is a social butterfly . . . so she will be busy.

The high school years are so important for girls and I just struggle with not being there every day to celebrate or console her. Ah, such is the bittersweet aspect of parenting.

She's a loyal fan, I know there will be no orange coming home : )