addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › 2011 tax preparations...

2011 tax preparations...

Optimistic C.
OptimisticChris
Madison, WI
Post #: 54
Hey everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice about the upcoming tax season for newly divorced individuals?

I believe that since my ex & I were divorced in July 2011, we are eligible to file either single or as a married couple. I believe the latter is typically more advantageous to both parties. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Secondly...
Can anyone recommend a tax preparer who has experience dealing with this type of scenario? I am especially interested in someone who might be able to hold independent middle ground during this process. I am anticipating that this will get ugly!

OC
A former member
Post #: 5
http://www.mtfteam.co...­

Hi Chris. Last year was my first year as a divorced person. Diane at Mennenga Tax and Financial Service was absolutely awesome.

http://www.mtfteam.co...­

And I believe the standard is,what your status is on the last day of the year is what you have to file as for the entire calendar year. In other words, I do not believe you can file as married since you will be divorced on 12/31/2011, and have been since July 2011. In fact, my ex and I waited until after the end of the calendar year of 2009, until January 2010, just to make sure we would still file as married for 2009, but would have most of 2010 as being divorced.

But I am not a tax expert, and I do believe Mennenga Tax Service will get you all straightened out. It was not an exorbitant fee, and it was worth every penny because I felt rather daunted by the tax process.

Good luck!

--NancyA
Nancy F.
user 12988328
Madison, WI
Post #: 4
Chris,
I agree with NancyA. When I was divorced in Sept. 2007, Jeff, CPA at Meicher & Associate, advised me the same: You file according to the status you are as of December 30 in the year of the divorce.

NancyF
Cathy P.
Mom2Nadia
Madison, WI
Post #: 6
OC,

I hope that in the case of your ex that you are wrong, that things don't get ugly! Secondly, I would like to say that I have used Meicher and Associates, and they have been excellent at navigating challenging issues within my family for the past several years. I hope that helps somewhat...
Laura
user 6540411
Madison, WI
Post #: 165
Hey Chris, I am not a tax expert by any means, but...filing as a married couple is not necessarily advantageous to both parties. You may be better off filing on your own. In other words, you may pay less on your own than you would splitting the tax burden with her. That was definitely the case for me. I would definitely look into it. Anyway, I'm not sure what the legal obligation is if you are divorced as of Dec. 31st.

The big question is: What will you do with the kids? If you each take one as a dependent, you can file as Single Head of Household and get a decent credit/deduction. That's what we do. When our son ages out, we will alternate claiming the younger one. Do NOT let her get the tax benefit for both.

Just my two cents... :)
Optimistic C.
OptimisticChris
Madison, WI
Post #: 55
And this is another reason to love SP-DA!

"You file according to the status you are as of December 31st in the year of the divorce"... I have confirmed this as fact with the state of Wisconsin.

Thanks folks.
OC
A former member
Post #: 6
This applies at both the state and the federal levels, Chris.

--NancyA
Rick
RickThePerson
Madison, WI
Post #: 17
There shouldn't be any reason for this to get ugly, the terms should be spelled out in the divorce settlement. If you have two kids, usually you each get to claim 1, and that means you can both file as head of a household, not as an individual. Just make sure you coordinate so you don't both claim the same kid. If you have an odd number of kids, but joint placement and custody, usually you alternate years for claiming, but again check your settlement.

Sue
user 19379981
Prairie du Sac, WI
Post #: 19
Thanks for bringing this up! Certainly do NOT ask me! Last year I could have and in hindsight should have filed Married filing seperately!! But I didn't, UGH. Anyway, I met with our accountant... btw....maybe I should use a different accountant now??? but I like him...just not the ex!

In our divorce decree it stated who got what... real estate taxes, mortgage interest, and minor child.

The recommendation here is something I can use so THANKS again!! Another tax year and hopefully a bit WISER!
Sue
user 19379981
Prairie du Sac, WI
Post #: 20
I realize this is on taxes... but I have a question about wills....It needs to be updated...any recommendations? Also, anyone know have first hand experience in setting up a trust? Good/Bad Why/Why not? Thanks!