addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › Quick/healthy meals?

Quick/healthy meals?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Friends,
Does anyone have any menu ideas for quick/healthy meals?
I'm a single dad of two girls; 12 and 7. I share 50/50 custody. When I get home from work, ususally about 6:15, it's always a struggle to come up with something good to eat that is reasoably healthy as well. Of course, time is a factor as I'd rather not be sitting down to eat at 8!
My girls are pretty good at trying new things....but their dad needs some new ideas. Any feedback would very much appreciated.

Best,
Dan
A former member
Post #: 29
Hey, recipes.com has alot of different sections, one of them is recipes under 30 minutes. Tons of stuff on-line.

Also, a couple tips...I've been cooking things on weekends/Sundays that will translate into easy leftovers for the rest of the week, chicken breasts, veggie burgers, whatever. Most of it is organizing time and Sundays I go through my fridge and organize raw veggie bags with carrots, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, etc and do the same thing with fruit... that way you can grab and go for lunches or if the kids are waiting for you to make dinner they can just pull stuff out and won't starve to death if you don't eat til 8.

Major staple is rotisserie chicken, Copps or Hy-Vee's are really good, then you can make chicken salad, chic quesadillas, etc for one or two nights. Veggie steamers bags are good and quick, they have individual ones now too. And for the times when you want something homemade but just don't feel like making it Hy-Vee has really awesome meatloaf.

Other staple for me is tortilla shells, my kids love the spinach ones and the sun-dried tomato basil. You can put pizza sauce and cheese on top and throw them in the oven, wraps, taco roll ups, anything. Cut them up in strips and bake, then use like chips for spinach or veggie dip.

Oh, and if it makes you feel better, I've been divorced for 12 years, never put dinner on the table at the same time two nights in a row, and my kids are healthy and lived thru it - so don't stress out about it!

Hope that helps a little!
Cindy R
user 26664792
Oregon, WI
Post #: 6
Here are few of my "go to" recipes.

For the sides I usually have fresh fruit or raw veggies (depending on what your kids like). Flavored greek yogurt is a great dip for strawberries and ranch dressing for carrots, celery etc.

Grilled cheese sandwich
Make your own pizza - using an already made pizza crust (white or whole wheat or nann bread). Drizzle with olive oil, add tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and toppings if you like.
Pasta with olive oil, parmesan cheese (broccoli optional), Hot or cold.
Pasta with ranch dressing, toss with parmesan, grape tomatoes, etc,
Baked chicken in crockpot.
I use Steam fresh (brand name) frozen veggies. They are quick and great tasting
A great website for healthy meals is Hungy-girl.com. She has a television show on Food Network.

Good luck and happy cooking
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks Cindy! I went to Hungry-girl.com. Excellent lead.

Best,
Dan
A former member
Post #: 164
I rubbed lipton onion soup mix on pork chops tonight, baked at 350 for 45 min (yes they were overcooked, but I am paranoid of underdone meat). I buy broccoli fresh and put it in the microwave for 4 minutes, butter & garlic salt. That's it.

Lunch: low-carb tortillas, cheese and bacon bits. I used to microwave them for a minute, but have recently switched to frying them in olive oil. this seems like a healthier alternative to grilled cheese. I served cucumber slices and ranch on the side.

Breakfast: I made a batch of pancakes last week - I triple the recipe and then freeze the leftovers. If you put 3 in the microwave for a minute, they reheat just fine. sometimes I sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top. this is actually a breakfast that my 6 year old can prepare himself.
A former member
Post #: 166
Today's menu:
Breakfast: Oatmeal, with apple slices, a little butter and a little brown sugar - i also added pumpkin pie spice

Lunch: we were at the sprinkler park, so I packed pb&j (I make like 10 of them and stick them in a bucket) and a bunch of bananas

Dinner: they went to their dad's! (easiest one of them all!)
A former member
Post #: 4
Ha! Can I send them to your kids dad's?
Just kidding! I love having them around.

Thanks for the input!
A former member
Post #: 167
Today:
Breakfast: Eggs & bacon
Lunch: lunchables - i use pepperoni slice, canadian bacon slices, cut slices of cheese (trying to stay away from processed cheese), and ritz crackers or wheat things. apple slices
dinner: I had some spaghetti sauce in the freezer from last time I made it. boil some noodles. fresh broccoli again.

snacks: I have a food dehydrator and they love banana chips. otherwise they have a variety in the fridge: apples, oranges, bananas, plums, nectarines and strawberries. Aldi is the best place to shop for cheap produce. I also buy them yogurt there. Gogurt in the freezer is the best alternative to ice cream. I let them pour fruit juice into cups and put them in the freezer to replace popsicles.
A former member
Post #: 172
Today:
Breakfast: breakfast burritos - I have bacon and sausage already cooked in the fridge. cut them in small pieces and add them to scrambled eggs. I use low-carb tortillas and they like ketchup on them.

Lunch: PB&J in a bucket and a bunch of bananas again (we are heading to Mt Olympus for the day - print your free passes good through Sept 3 at their website)

Dinner: back at their dads!
A former member
Post #: 173
You know, I was thinking we do a lot of meals on the go during the summer. I have resorted to taking them through the McDonald's drive through, but they are limited to choices of a McChicken or a McDouble (dollar menu). Thankfully, only one of them wants a McChicken. I do not let them get french fries anymore. I will stop at Kwik Trip and grab a bunch of bananas and a diet pop, or the lipton peach ice tea is a little better than soda. I also drag cheese sticks with us - but these don't do so well in heat. A bag of pretzels every once in a while isn't bad. Sometimes I bring apples. I was surprised at how they adjusted/accepted they weren't getting a happy meal anymore. My standard reply to any complaints about lack of junk food is that I can buy them the happy meal, but then we can't afford the waterpark. This pretty much shuts them up (some day they will figure out I get most of my tickets for free, but for now it is working!).